TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The fourth-ranked Arkansas men’s track and field team advanced five Razorbacks out of three event preliminaries and placed two runners in the 10,000-meter run on day one of the 2016 Southeastern Conference Outdoor Championships.
Arkansas decathletes Derek Jacobus (10.93 seconds), Brad Culp (10.94) and Lane Austell (11.13) opened up the meet for the Razorbacks with three lifetime best performances in the 100.
A transfer from Northern Iowa, Jacobus also posted a huge mark in the long jump of 7.25w/23-9 1/2 to finish as the fourth-best in the event.
The trio also posted career bests in the 400 with Jacobus and Austell racing to the sub-50 second performances to cap the first day of the competition.
The group heads into tomorrow’s final five events — 110 hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin and the 1,500 — with Jacobus in sixth place (3,979), Culp in 10th (3,752) and Austell taking 12th (3,700).
Survive and Advance
• 200 – Multi-talented Razorback Jarrion Lawson advanced out of the preliminary round with a personal best time of 20.56 — the second fastest time out of heat three.
• 800 – Freshman Carlton Orange earned an automatic spot in the 800 finals placing among the top two best in heat three. Senior Ryan Thomas also made the cut for the finals advancing off his time of 1 minute, 48.34 seconds.
• 400 hurdles – Larry Donald and Kemar Mowatt were the final two Razorbacks to make it out of the prelims as the duo both earned automatic qualification from second-place finishes in their respective heats.
Gabe Gonzalez was the first Razorback to score points placing third in the 10K in 29:50.01. One of two Arkansas runners to score in the event, Gonzalez was joined by newcomer Andrew Ronoh who crossed the finish line in fifth place to add four points to the team total.
On Deck For Day Two
• 12:00 p.m. Decathlon (110 hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin and 1,500)
• 3:05 p.m. Shot put
• 6:30 p.m. Long jump
• 6:50 p.m. 110 hurdles (prelims)
• 7:30 p.m. 1,500 (prelims)
• 8:20 p.m. 400 (prelims)
• 9:10 p.m. 100 (prelims)
• 9:55 p.m. 3,000 steeplechase (finals)
Men’s Team Standings: 1. Alabama (15); 2. Ole Miss (13); 3. Georgia (12); 4. Arkansas (10); 4. Florida (10); 4. Kentucky (10); 7. Tennessee (4); 8. LSU (3); 9. Texas A&M (1).
Meet information and live results can be found at the outdoor championships central.
A live broadcast of the competition on SEC Network+ will be available Friday, May 13 at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, May 14 at 3:00 p.m.
The championship will also air Sunday, May 15 via tape delay from 2-4 p.m.
For more information on Arkansas track and field including in-meet updates, follow @RazorbackTF on Twitter.