FAYETTEVILLEThe University of Arkansas women’s tennis team ran away with the competition against Southwest Missouri State Friday night, winning 7-0 to remain undefeated in the 2005 spring season.
The 6-0 record marks the second-best start to a season in Lady Razorback history. Tomorrow, the Lady’Backs have an opportunity to tie the best start to a season in Lady Razorback history, 7-0, which was set in 1986-87.
The 7-0 blanking also marks Arkansas’ fourth shutout victory this season. The Lady’Backs have never had four straight shutouts at home, and have not had four shutouts in one season since 1998-99.
“As a team tonight, we were sharp almost across the board,” said head coach Michael Hegarty. “Though I was impressed by SMS’s fighting spirit tonight.”
The Lady’Backs won their fifth doubles point of the year Friday, led by seniors Iliana Pacheco and Whitney Morton on court three. Team senior won the match easily, 8-2, for their third win together this spring.
Karina Ledaja and Maryori Franco improve to 5-1 as a doubles pair with an 8-2 win on court two over Southwest Missouri State’s Paty Manzur and Biljana Gakovic.
In singles, freshman Yawna Allen made quick work of a 6-0, 6-1 victory over SMS’s Stephanie Harmazy to give the Lady’Backs a 2-0 lead. Fellow freshman Audrey Bordeleau sealed the deal for Arkansas over Carolina Ardila, 6-0, 6-1, on court six.
Pacheco was the last player on court for the Lady’Backs. The senior from Dallas, Texas dropped the first set 6-4, but came back big in the second with her own 6-4 posting. In the ten-point tiebreaker, the score was tied six times before Pacheco could put away SMS’s Manzur, 14-12.
“Tonight was a great preparation for a tough match tomorrow against Kansas State,” Hegarty said.
The undefeated Lady’Backs return to the court tomorrow for an 11:00 a.m. match against Kansas State. Admission is free. Live stats are available at lady’backs.com via the stats section. For more information regarding Arkansas tennis or any other Lady Razorback sport, please visit www.ladybacks.com.
Tennis Match Results
Southwest Missouri State vs University of Arkansas
Feb 11, 2005 at Fayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas 7, Southwest Missouri State 0
1. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Elizabeth Garza (SMS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Maja Stanojevic (SMS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Iliana Pacheco (UA) def. Paty Manzur (SMS) 4-6, 6-4, 14-12
4. Melissa Cornett (UA) def. Biljana Gakovic (SMS) 6-0, 6-0
5. Yawna Allen (UA) def. Stephanie Harmazy (SMS) 6-0, 6-1
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Carolina Ardila (SMS) 6-0, 6-1
1. Melissa Cornett/Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Elizabeth Garza/Maja Stanojevic (SMS) 9-8
2. Karina Ledaja/Maryori Franco (UA) def. Paty Manzur/Biljana Gakovic (SMS) 8-2
3. Whitney Morton/Iliana Pacheco (UA) def. Stephanie Harmazy/Carolina Ardila (SMS) 8-2