HOUSTON, Texas - The No. 36 University of Arkansas women's tennis team earned its third victory of the season with a 7-0 victory over Lamar on Sunday. The Razorbacks completed the weekend with a 7-0 victory over the Cardinals and improved to 3-0 on the season.
Arkansas earned the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. The duos of Claudine Paulson / Segou Jonker and Brittany Huxley / Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez each defeated a Lamar duo to clinch the doubles point.
The Razorbacks completed their third straight match where they won all six singles matchups. Yang Pang and Sarah McLean got their first wins of the season in singles. Brittany Huxley, Claudine Paulson, and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez all won all of their six matches on the weekend, going 3-0 in both singles and doubles.
"This was an encouraging weekend overall," head coach Michael Hegarty said. "Today we took some steps forward and the big thing is we gained confidence heading into the National Indoors next weekend. All nine players won matches this weekend so we are firing on a lot of cylinders."
The win is the 124th victory of Hegarty's Arkansas career. He is tied with Kevin Platt for the most wins in Arkansas women's tennis history, and he can set the record for most wins by an Arkansas women's tennis coach with one more victory.
The Razorbacks are back in action next weekend at the ITA Kickoff. The first match is against host Northwestern at 11 a.m. on Friday.
Arkansas 7, Lamar 0
Complete Singles Results
1. Yang Pang (ARK) def. Carolina Salas (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Alicia Porte (LU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Segou Jonker (ARK) def. Carolina Maso (LU) 7-6, 7-6
4. Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Natalia Mayagorita (LU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Brittany Huxley def. Helene Czudek (LU) 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
6. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez def. Dariya Dashitina (LU) 7-5, 6-1
Complete Doubles Results
1. Claudine Paulson/ Segou Jonker (ARK) def. Carolina Salas/ Helene Czudek (LU) 8-3
2. Alicia Porte/Carolina Maso (LU) def. Yang Pang /Sarah McLean (ARK) 8-4
3. Brittany Huxley/Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez def. Natalia Mayagorita/Dariya Dashitina (LU) 8-5