NEW HAVEN, CONN. – The No. 37 University of Arkansas women’s tennis team dropped a tough battle on the road to the No. 24 Yale Bulldogs. The Razorbacks opened the day by clinching the doubles point, and earned two singles victories in a hard-fought match.
“Hats off to Yale for a great all-around performance,” Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. “I thought we did some really good things today on most courts. Our doubles play was excellent and we put ourselves in position to be successful, which is encouraging. We are growing more with each match and look forward to more tough non-conference matches.”
Arkansas opened the day by winning two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The duo of senior Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker continued their undefeated streak, winning their fifth doubles match of the season with a 8-5 victory. Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley also won, defeating the Bulldog duo 8-0.
Yale earned the first three singles victories. Flavia Araujo and Kimberley – Ann Surin each dropped straight set matches. Araujo dropped her match to Amber Li 6-3, 6-1, while Surin fell to Sullivan 6-1, 6-0. Paulson battled with No. 42 Elizabeth Epstein, but fell 6-3, 6-4.
The Razorbacks started to mount a comeback with a victory by Sarah McLean. The sophomore defeated Sarah Guzick in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. The win meant that the match would be determined by the No. 1 and No. 6 singles matches, which each went three sets.
After coming back to take the second set, Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez dropped the third set. The victory for Amos clinched the victory for Yale. Pang finished the match on a strong note for the Razorbacks. She defeated No. 90 Madeleine Hamilton in a long match 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 to bring the final score to 4-3 in favor of Yale.
The Razorbacks are back on the road next weekend. They travel to Stillwater, Okla. next Sunday to face the Oklahoma State.
No. 24 Yale 4, No. 37 Arkansas 3
Complete Singles Results
1 . Yang Pang (ARK) def. No. 90 Madeleine Hamilton 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
2. No. 42 Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) def. Claudine Paulson (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
3. Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. Kimberley – Ann Surin (ARK) 6-1, 6-0
4. Amber Li (YALE) def. Flavia Araujo (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
5. Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Sarah Guzick (YALE) 6-2, 6-2
6. CourtneyAmos (YALE) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 2-6, 7-5, 3-6
Complete Doubles Results
1. Claudine Paulson / Segou Jonker (ARK) def. Hamilton / Li (YALE) 8-5
2. Sullivan / Epstein (YALE) def. Kimberley – Ann Surin / Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 8-6
3. Yang Pang / Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Seideman / Amos (YALE) 8-0