Razorback Cheerleader, Pom Squad & Mascot Basic Information
Thank you for your interest in the University of Arkansas Spirit Squads. We have five groups that support our Razorback teams. Cheer Red, Cheer White, Pom Red, Pom White/RBI Girls and the Razorback Mascots (BIG RED - the Fightin' Razorback, LADYBACK BIG RED, Sue E., Pork Chop, Ribby - the baseball mascot, and BOSS HOG the inflatable mascot, will cheer and perform at all Men’s and Women’s Athletic Events. National competition squads - 16 cheerleaders and 14 pom members will be chosen from the Cheer Red/White and Pom Red/White squads if the squads vote to compete.
The basic requirement and tryout information is as follows:
1. Applicants must be undergraduate students.
2. Applicants must be enrolled in 12 hours each semester and pass 24 hours each year.
3. Applicants must be in good standing with the University of Arkansas and not on disciplinary probation.
4. Applicants must be in good health and physically capable of performing all skills of cheer and dance safely.
5. Selection of each squad will be made by two panels of judges selected by the squad advisor.
6. The time/date/place of tryouts and the clinic (a one week practice session to learn the tryout material) will be announced on the cheerleader website www.arkansasrazorbacks.com and the athletic department website (www.hogwired.com), on flyers distributed to all dorms, sorority and fraternity houses and the Broyles Athletic Center. It is also recommended that interested students contact the squad sponsor in early February for dates, times and new information.
7. Applicants may tryout for the cheer squad or the pom squad but NOT for both in the same semester.
Cheer Red, Cheer White, Pom Red, Pom White/RBI Girls, Cheer competition squad, Pom competition squad and Mascots:
1. Second semester freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible for Cheer Red, Pom Red and all Mascot positions. These squads cheer for Razorback football and men’s basketball and the time and travel commitments are too great for a freshman. Members of Cheer Red will also cheer at all LadyBack gymnastics meets. Members of Pom Red will also perform at all home matches of the Razorback Tennis Team.
Freshmen are eligible for the Cheer White squad and will cheer for Fayetteville and Little Rock football games, Lady Razorback basketball games, selected men’s basketball games and all LadyBack volleyball games. They are eligible to tryout to participate in the cheerleader's halftime routine performed at a basketball game.
Freshmen are also eligible for the Pom White/RBI squad. This squad performs dance routines on the dugouts at Razorback baseball games. The RBI girls have become a very popular part of Razorback baseball doing their dance/spirit routines pregame and between innings. This squad will also cheer for selected men’s football and basketball games, the Ladyback basketball home and post-season games and selected pep rallies and events.
High school seniors who are willing to travel to the tryouts in Fayetteville at their own expense may tryout for the Cheer White and Pom White/RBI squads in the spring of their senior year. The first round of tryouts is by DVD/videotape and all information can be found on our website: www.arkansasrazorbacks.com. All videotape tryout information will be posted on the website in mid January.
2. To tryout in the spring semester of their freshman year (to participate the following year) a freshman must have passed 12 hours in their first semester and an upperclassman must have passed 24 hours the preceding year to be eligible.
3. All uniforms, megaphones, pom-poms, shoes, jackets, camp clothes, and other necessary equipment and alterations of uniforms will be provided by the athletic department.
4. All squads (except the Pom White/RBI) are required to attend summer camp (usually the first or second week in August) at the athletic departments expense. Squad members are required to return to Fayetteville one week before camp for a training session at their own expense. Because the Pom White/RBI primary performance season is the spring, the athletic department will send one or two members (selected by the advisor) to camp to learn material to teach other members during the fall practices. Pom White members that wish to pay their own camp tuition are welcome to travel to and from camp with the other squads, however, camp is not mandatory for Pom White/RBI.
5. Tryouts for the next school year are held in the spring after the basketball teams have completed their postseason events. Cheer Red, Cheer White (those already on campus), Pom Red, Pom White (again, those on campus) and mascots will begin practice immediately after tryouts and will continue until "dead" day. They will not practice during finals.
6. The following scholarships are awarded to the white squads and RIBBY:
Cheer White $500 and books for the fall and
$500 and books for the spring
Pom White/RBI $500 and books for the fall and
$500 and books for the spring
Ribby (baseball mascot) Books for the fall and
$500 and books for the spring
The following scholarships are awarded to the red squads:
Cheer Red, Pom Red, and mascots: 1st year on squad $550 and books for the fall and
$550 and books for the spring
2nd year on squad $750 and books for the fall and
$750 and books for the spring
3rd year on squad $950 and books for the fall and
$950 and books for the spring
- In addition there are six to ten individual scholarships that are available based on specific criteria and need. They range from $300 to $1000 per semester and are offered to members of Cheer Red, Pom Red and the mascots. Any individual scholarships not awarded are then available to members of Cheer White and Pom White. Call Jean Nail for further information on these awards.
Any student transferring to the UA from another institution of higher education (that is selected for our Cheer Red or Pom Red squads) that has participated on their former varsity cheer or dance squad for one full year will enter our scholarship program at the first year level ($1100 and books). Any student who has completed two years or more on a varsity squad will enter at the second year level ($1500 and books). The Athletic Department reserves the right to contact the applicant's previous advisor to confirm the years of participation at the varsity level.
Cheer Red and Cheer White:
1. Cheer Red is composed of 6 males and 6 females. (In addition, one or two alternate couples may be chosen by the advisor and coach). Cheer White is composed of 6 males and 6 females (again, one or two alternate couples may be chosen by the advisor and coach based on various needs of the squads. These alternates will not receive a monetary scholarship but will be awarded books for the fall and spring semesters).
2. Cheer Red members are required to attend all football games (home and away), bowl games, home and post season men’s basketball games, all LadyBack gymnastics meets, all pep rallies and charity events/appearances and summer camp. Cheer White members are required to attend all Fayetteville and Little Rock football games, selected men’s basketball games, all home and post-season Lady Razorback basketball games, all LadyBack volleyball games and summer camp. The athletic department pays all expenses.
3. Basic judging point considerations are: Poise and appearance, overall spirit and enthusiasm, coordination and technique, partner stunts, sideline chants, tumbling, the HOGS CALL, crowd leadership ability and a personal interview.
Pom Red and Pom White/RBI:
- The Pom Red squad is composed of 10 to 12 members. Pom White is composed of 10 to 12 members. Several alternates may be selected by the squad advisor and coach based on needs of the squads and number of games per season. (Alternates will not receive a monetary scholarship but will be awarded books for the fall and spring semester).
- Pom Red's primary duty is to develop dance routines for basketball halftimes and to support the teams and cheerleaders at all other appearances. At football games the primary duty is to support the team and cheerleaders and to lead cheers and chants in front of the alumni sections of the stadium. Pom Red will perform at all home and Little Rock football games, all home basketball games and all home matches of the Razorback Tennis Team and summer camp.
- Pom White will participate as RBI girls that perform short dance/spirit routines pregame and between innings of baseball games. Pom White is required to attend selected home and Little Rock football games, all home and post-season LadyBack basketball games, all home baseball games and other events/games/pep rallies. The athletic department pays all expenses.
3. Basic judging point considerations are: Poise and appearance, enthusiasm and spirit, coordination and rhythm, dance ability, kicks, double/triple turns, splits, leaps, creativity in dance and a personal interview.
Competition Squads - Cheer and Pom:
1. Nationals Cheer Squad: A competition squad of 16 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Cheer Red and Cheer White squad. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment. The squads vote each year on whether or not they want to compete.
2. Nationals Dance Squad: A competition squad of 14 (plus two alternates) will be chosen from the Pom Red and Pom White squads. The squad will be selected by the advisor and coach from those students who are qualified and willing to make the time commitment. The squads vote each year on whether or not they want to compete.
The Razorback Mascots:
BIG RED - The Fightin' Razorback: One person - male or female
LADYBACK BIG RED One person – male or female
PORK CHOP (baby/child hog): One person - male or female - 5' or under in height
SUE E. - (female hog): One person - male or female
RIBBY (baseball mascot): One person - male or female
BOSS HOG (Inflatable mascot): One-person male or female - needs to be rather tall to be able to manipulate the suit
1. All mascot uniforms/suits are provided - we expect them to be WELL CARED FOR!!!
2. Big Red/LadyBack Big Red and/or BOSS HOG attends all home, away, post season football games, all home and post season Lady Razorback basketball and volleyball games, and home softball games, all home and post season men’s basketball games, Razorback tennis matches, gymnastics meets and all official pep rallies and events. All expenses are paid.
3. Pork Chop and Sue E are primarily public relations oriented. They attend all home and Little Rock football games, men’s basketball games, all Lady Razorback home basketball games, selected tennis and gymnastics meets, selected public service events and summer camp. Their primary purpose is to meet and greet fans, be available for pictures and to interact with the children attending our Razorback games.
4. Ribby, the baseball mascot, attends all home games of the baseball Razorbacks to entertain and interact with fans. He also performs routines on the home and visitor dugout with the RBI girls at designated times during the game.
5. BOSS HOG (inflatable mascot) will perform at various games and events of the Razorback teams. His only restrictions are ceiling height and high winds - he is usually very visible at men's athletic events.
6. Judging point considerations: Spirit and enthusiasm, a good understanding of a mascots duties, utilization of the suit, creativity and a personal interview.
Summer camp is mandatory for all first year mascots (at the athletic departments expense). Because of
their unique character all mascots are required to make public service appearances throughout the
year (Hospitals, elementary schools, community events, etc.)
All our spirit squad work is very time consuming. Many hours of practice, traveling and game
performance is required. There are also many public service and charity events in which we
participate. We always expect your academic work to come first. However, when you become spirit
squad member, we expect and insist that cheerleading, pom or mascot be your second priority,
before any other campus activity. It takes a dedicated and organized person to be a spirit squad
member. We work hard, we expect a lot, but we also have a lot of fun. It's SPECIAL to be a
Thank you again for your interest in the University of Arkansas and our Razorback Spirit Squads. It's
students like you who make our program and traditions great. Study hard, practice hard and come to
the University of Arkansas and tryout to be a part of our Razorback Family.
You can find updated information on our website: www.arkansasrazorbacks.com . If you have other questions or need further information, please feel free to call, e-mail or write:
Jean Nail, Spirit Coordinator Kraig Jimenez, Cheer Coach
Broyles Athletic Center Broyles Athletic Center
P.O. Box 7777 P.O. Box 7777
Fayetteville, AR 72702 Fayetteville, AR 72702
Phone: 479-575-6534 Phone: 479-444-8049
Fax: 479-575-4904 Fax: 479-575-4904
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org E-mail email@example.com
We look forward to meeting you soon. GO HOGS!!!!