FAYETTEVILLE - The University of Arkansas women's tennis team rallied late, and snapped a losing streak in exciting fashion. Sophomore Sarah McLean and freshman Brittany Huxley led the comeback, with McLean first evening the match, and then Huxley won a three-set match with all eyes on her court to clinch the victory. Arkansas also got singles wins from Kimberley - Ann Surin and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez, and evened their record to 5-5 on the season.
"I'm obviously pleased with the win," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "Tulsa is a class program and our matches are typically extremely close. The best part of today was our overall, top to bottom, willingness to compete correctly."
In doubles, the team's split the first two matches. Arkansas got ahead first, as the freshman duo of Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley defeated Tulsa's Sant'Anna and Kuricova 8-5. Tulsa quickly answered, as the No. 12 pair in the nation of Vickers and Enrique defeated Sarah McLean and Kimberley - Ann Surin 8-4. The doubles point came down to a tiebreak at No. 2 doubles, but Claudine Paulson / Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez fell to Farley and Saartienen 9-8 (5).
In singles, Kimberley - Ann Surin got Arkansas off to a good start. Surin defeated Tulsa's Maria Sant'Anna 6-2, 6-2 to even the match at one-all. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez was next to finish, and the freshman won her second match of the weekend to put the Razorbacks in the lead. Belmar Hernandez earned the victory with a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Saana Saarteinen.
Senior Claudine Paulson dropped her match at No. 2 singles, falling 6-3, 6-3 to Isaura Enrique. Freshman Yang Pang also fell at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-3, putting Tulsa ahead 3-2.
Sophomore Sarah McLean evened the match back up win a strong victory for the Razorbacks. McLean defeated Farley 7-5, 7-5, tying the match at 3-3. The decision came down to freshman Brittany Huxley on court 6. With the match hinging on her result, Huxley persevered, winning 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
"We have a lot of youth out there," Hegarty said. "I'm very pleased to see us developing quickly."
Arkansas is back in action at home next weekend. The Razorbacks will host Kentucky Friday at 12 p.m. and face Vanderbilt Sunday at 12 p.m.
Arkansas 4 - Tulsa 3
Complete Singles Results
1. No. 55 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
2. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Claudine Paulson (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Michelle Farley (TLS) 7-5, 7-5
4. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) def. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) def. Saana Saarteinen (TLS) 6-4, 6-3
6. Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Carol Benito (TLS) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
Complete Doubles Results
1. No. 12 Samantha Vickers / Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin / Sarah McLean (ARK) 8-4
2. Michelle Farley / Saana Saartienen (TLS) def. Claudine Paulson / Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 9-8 (5)
3. Yang Pang / Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Renata Kuricova / Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 8-5