TUSCALOOSA, ALA. – The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team fell at No. 6 Alabama on Friday in Tuscaloosa, dropping the match 5-2. Arkansas got two singles victories over ranked opponents, with wins by Yang Pang and Claudine Paulson. The loss moved the Razorbacks to 6-7, 1-2 in the SEC, with Alabama moving to 11-1, 3-0 SEC.
"There's not a lot of margin when you compete against a team of this quality," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "They just had a little more where it counted today."
In doubles, the freshman duo of Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley got Arkansas to a fast start, easily dispatching of the Crimson Tide’s Zabor and Maynetto 8-1. Alabama answered back, as Sarah McLean and Kimberley – Ann Surin fell to Alabama’s Foehse and Jansen 8-1. The doubles point came down to No. 1 doubles, with Paulson and Jonker facing the No. 4 pair in the nation, Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane. The Razorbacks No. 1 duo rallied back from 7-4 down to tie the match at 7-7, but fell 9-7 as Alabama clinched the doubles point.
In singles the Crimson Tide extended their lead with quick wins at No. 3 and No. 5. Sarah McLean fell to No. 77 Maya Jansen in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. At No. 5, Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez was defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Emily Zabor, as Alabama took a 3-0 lead. Alabama clinched the match with a victory at No. 4, as Antonia Foehse defeated Kimberley-Ann Surin in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3.
The Razorbacks got on the board with a win at No. 2 singles, as senior Claudine Paulson upset No. 36 Alexa Guarachi. Paulson dropped the first set, but rallied back and finished the match strong, knocking off Guarachi 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. The victory moved Paulson to a team best 11-2 on the season.
Alabama got another win at No. 6, as No. 106 Natalia Maynetto defeated Brittany Huxley in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. In the final match, Yang Pang battled with No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane, forcing a third set. Pang won the match 6-7, 6-3, 10-8, earning her third straight victory over a ranked opponent. With the victories by Pang and Paulson, each moved to 3-0 in singles during SEC play.
"Nicky and Claudine are both setting the standard for our team," Hegarty said. "They are both earning every bit of their success the right way."
Arkansas is back in action on Sunday, as the Razorbacks are at No. 14 Auburn at 1 p.m.
Alabama 5 - Arkansas 2
Complete Singles Results
1. Yang Pang (ARK) def. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (ALA) 6-7, 6-3, 10-8
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. No. 36 Alexa Guarachi (ALA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 77 Maya Jansen (ALA) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. Antonia Foehse (ALA) def. Kimberley – Ann Surin (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
5. Emily Zabor (ALA) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 106 Natalia Maynetto (ALA) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
Complete Doubles Results
1. No. 4 Mary Anne Macfarlane / Alexa Guarachi def. Claudine Paulson/Segou Jonker (ARK) 9-7
2. Antonia Foehse/Maya Jansen (ALA) def. Sarah McLean/Kimberley – Ann Surin (ARK) 8-1
3. Yang Pang/Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Emily Zabor/Natalia Maynetto (ALA) 8-1