01/19 - TBA
WTN vs Wichita State
01/24 - All Day
WTN at Kansas State
01/31 - 5:00 PM
WTN vs North Texas
02/01 - 10:00 AM
WTN vs Southern Illinois
02/02 - 11:00 AM
WTN vs Oklahoma State
02/02 - 3:00 PM
WTN vs Oral Roberts
02/14 - 12:00 PM
WTN vs Oklahoma
02/16 - 11:00 AM
WTN vs Purdue
02/28 - TBA
WTN at Vanderbilt
03/02 - TBA
WTN at Kentucky
03/07 - 12:00 PM
WTN vs Auburn
FAYETTEVILLE - The University of Arkansas women's tennis team dropped an SEC matchup with No. 3 Texas A&M on Sunday, falling 6-1 at the Billingsley Tennis Center. The loss dropped Arkansas to 6-10 (1-5 SEC).
"I thought it was a well-played match from both teams," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "We had our chances early in the doubles. We had some good singles performances, especially at No. 1 and No. 2. The top of our singles was great, but ultimately their depth was the difference."
In doubles play, Texas A&M got started with a victory at No. 3 doubles, as the duo of Kimberley-Ann Surin and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez fell 8-5 to Texas A&M's No. 80 Ines Deheza and Paula Deheza. At No. 1 doubles, Arkansas No. 59 team of Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker battled with A&M's No. 9 Christina Stancu/Stefania Hristov, and evened the match at 8-8. However, that match would be unfinished, as the duo of Brittany Huxley and Yang Pang fell 8-5 to Urbina / Sanchez - Quintanar, and A&M clinched the doubles point.
In singles, the Aggies stretched their lead to 2-0 with a win at No. 6, as Stefania Hristov defeatedBelmar Hernandez 6-1, 6-1. They extended that lead to 3-0 with a victory in straight sets at No. 5, as Flavia Araujo fell to Wen Sun 6-2, 6-1. Texas A&M clinched the match at No. 3 singles, as Sarah McLean fell 6-2, 6-2 to No. 43 Nazari Urbina.
Claudine Paulson got Arkansas on the board by continuing her stellar play. Facing No, 62 Cristina Stancu, she took the first set, but dropped the second. Paulson recovered with an excellent performance in the tiebreak to take the match. With the win, she remains perfect in SEC play at 6-0, and is 14-2 overall in singles play.
Kimberley - Ann Surin dropped her match, falling to Ines Deheza 6-3, 7-5. Yang Pang battled with No. 6 Christina Sanchez - Quintanar, but fell 6-2, 6-3.
The Razorbacks hit the road for the next three opponents. Arkansas will face Jackson State on Wednesday before facing Mississippi State on Friday and Ole Miss on Sunday.
Complete Singles Results
1. No. 6 Christina Sanchez - Quintanar (TXAM) def. No. 68 Yang Pang (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 93 Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. No. 62 Cristina Stancu (TXAM) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (5)
3. No. 43 Nazari Urbina (TXAM) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ines Dehaza (TXAM) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-3, 7-5
5. Wen Sun (TXAM) def. Flavia Araujo (ARK) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stefania Hristov def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 6-1, 6-1
Complete Doubles Results
1. No. 59 Claudine Paulson/ Segou Jonker (ARK) - No. 9 Christina Stancu/Stefania Hristov 8-8, unf.
2. Nazari Urbina / Christina Sanchez - Quintanar def. Brittany Huxley/Yang Pang (ARK) 8-5
3. No. 80 Ines Deheza / Paula Deheza (TXAM) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin/Ana Lorena Belmar (ARK) 8-5