Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013
Time: 7:07 P.M.
City: Fayetteville, Ark.
Site: Bud Walton Arena (19,200)
TV: Razorback Sports Network (RSN)
Channels: KNWA, KATV. KAIT - 8.2 (digital tier)
Talent: Scott Inman (P-B-P) & Blake Eddins (Analyst)
Audio: Razorback/IMG Sports Network
Talent: Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Rick Schaeffer (Analyst)
Live Blog & Live Stats: www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
Hashtags: #Fastest40 | #WeHogs
Current Streak: W2
Last 5 Games: 3-2
Home Record: 5-0
Current Streak at Home: W19
Vs. Savannah State: 1-0
Last Meeting: January 3, 2012 | Arkansas 83, Savannah State 66
AT A GLANCE
Off to its best start since the 2010-11 season, Arkansas welcomes Savannah State to Bud Walton Arena on Thursday for just the second meeting between the two programs. Scott Inman and Blake Eddins will have the call for Razorback Sports Network, as Arkansas carries a 19-game home win streak into Thursday, good for the fifth-longest streak in the nation. The Razorbacks are 5-0 at Bud Walton Arena this season, while Savannah State is 0-5 on the road.
• Own a 19-game win streak at Bud Walton Arena, good for the fifth-longest current home win streak in the nation.
• Won last 39 home games against unranked non-conference opponents, dating back to 2009.
• Rated No. 29 by Real Time RPI and No. 30 by CBS Sports RPI.
• Averaging 89.8 points per game at home this season.
• Lead the SEC and rank 14th in the nation in scoring (86.8).
• Also lead the SEC in assists (16.0), three-pointer percentage (.401), free throw percentage (.739) and turnover margin (+5.5), a figure it has led the league in both years under coach Anderson.
• Turnover margin of +5.5 ranks ninth in the nation, while its out-scoring opponents by 10.4 per game in points off turnovers.
• Won the turnover battle in 12 straight games dating back to last year and 61 of 72 games under coach Anderson.
• Only team in the SEC to score 74+ points in every game.
• Arkansas’ eight non-conference opponents so far this season have a combined 49-25 record.
• The Arkansas bench is averaging 42.8 points, good for 49 percent of the team’s scoring, has supplied a double figure scorer in every game and has out-scored the opposition seven times.
• Sophomore class supplying 30.3 points per game - most by any of the four classes.
• Own the sixth-longest current streak in the nation with a three-pointer in 812 consecutive contests.
• Of Arkansas’ 39 home wins (39-4) under Anderson, 28 have come by double-digits.
• Forced opponents into 20 turnovers 17 times (16-1), including three times this season, under Anderson, while coming away with 10+ steals in 25 contests (18-7).
• Anderson’s #Fastest40 style of play has resulted in his teams winning the turnover battle in 313 of 370 career games.
HEAD COACHING MATCHUP
Record at Arkansas: 43-29 (3rd Season)
Overall Record: 243-127 (12th Season)
Vs. Savannah State: 2-0
Head Coach: Horace Broadnax (Georgetown ‘86)
Record at Savannah State: 107-136 (9th Season)
Overall Record: 149-235 (16th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 0-1
HOME SWEET HOME
With its 5-0 start, Arkansas has stretched its win streak at Bud Walton to 19 games, good for the fifth-longest home streak in program history. Below is a look at some figures during the current 19-game home win streak.
• Scoring margin of +16.7 with six wins of 20+ points.
• Averaging 81.3 points while shooting 47.1 percent (540-1146) with nine games of 80+ points. Arkansas has led at the half in 18 of 19 games.
• Opponents are averaging just 27.7 points in the first half, breaking 34 points just two times.
• Razorbacks haven’t lost the turnover battle in any of the 19 games, forcing 20 or more turnovers eight times for an average of 19.8.
• Held 16 teams below 50 percent from the field.
• 11 different players have reached double figures.
Longest Current Home Win Streaks
1. Missouri 24
2. Duke 22
Stephen F. Austin 22
4. Florida 21
5. Arkansas 19
6. Gonzaga 16
Norfolk State 16
8. Iowa 15
SCOUTING SAVANNAH STATE
• Coming off back-to-back winning seasons, highlighted by a MEAC title in 2012.
• Enter on a six-game losing streak and have played five true road games.
• Played Tuesday night at Northern Iowa, starting a streak of five consecutive road games that includes stops at Arkansas, Miami, Florida and Baylor.
• Senior Jyles Smith is tied for 17th in the nation with 30 blocked shots. He has 252 blocks for his career.
• Senior Deven Williams leads the team in scoring at 12.8 points per game, coming off the bench for 18 points on Tuesday night at Northern Iowa.
Savannah State is 0-2 against Mike Anderson
coached teams since 2008, dropping one against the Razorbacks and one against Missouri.
• The Tigers have scored 74+ points just one time, while Arkansas is the only SEC team to not be held to less than 74 points in any game.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
• One of two players to start every game.
• Team leader with 20 assists and +4.0 assist/turnover ratio.
• Positive assist/turnover ratio every game and no turn. five times.
• Scored a career-high 10 points in win over Minnesota.
• Has committed just 18 turnovers in 29 games as a Razorback.
• Nominee for the 2014 NABC Good Works team.
• Made first two career starts the last two games.
• Hit a trio of threes vs. SE La. and had a hand in first 11 points.
• Shooting 50 percent (9-18) from three with six steals.
• Team co-captain.
• Reached double figures in four of the last five games.
• Fifth on the team in scoring at 8.6 points per game.
• Started the last two games, averaging 12.0 points.
• Four double figure games are more than his 2012-13 total (2).
• Hit 8 of last 12 from three; made just seven threes last season.
• Second on the team and 23rd in the SEC in scoring (13.4).
• Has led the team in scoring three times (3-0).
• Came off the bench the first three games and averaged 15.8 points.
• Finished in double figures five times.
• Has 107 total points on 65 field goal attempts.
• Named SEC Freshman of the Week on Monday.
• Averaging 14.8 points and 5.8 rebounds the last four games.
• Reached double figures five times, including four straight.
• Only player to lead the team in points & rebounds in same game.
• Had season-bests of 18 points & 7 rebounds vs. No. 11 Gonzaga.
A common trait of MIKE ANDERSON-led teams is a balanced scoring attack and this year that style has led to 86.8 points per game, the top scoring average in the SEC.
• Rank 14th in the nation in scoring ... coach Anderson-led teams have finished in the top 25 in scoring four times.
• Only SEC program that has scored 74 or more points in every game, while the 111 points vs. SE Louisiana is tied for the most by an SEC team this season.
• Shot 50 percent in four games (4-0).
• Scored 50+ points in four of the last seven halves.
• Three players averaging double figures, while six players are at 7.1 points or higher.
• Eight different players have reached double figures.
• At least three players have reached double-digits in every game, highlighted by five twice.
• Of those eight different double figure scorers, four have done it in a single half.
• Four different players have led the team in scoring, while Arkansas is 3-0 when redshirt junior ALANDISE HARRIS leads the way.
• Freshman BOBBY PORTIS is the only player to lead the team in scoring and rebounding, doing in two games.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Forward BOBBY PORTIS became just the fifth Razorback to ever be named the SEC Freshman of the Week on Monday. Portis averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists over a 2-0 week for the Razorbacks.