FAYETTEVILLE -- The University of Arkansas Athletics Department and the Razorback Foundation announced the winners of the 17th Annual Red Tie Dinner and Auction Awards recently.
The banquet is scheduled for Feb. 22, 2014, at the Embassy Suites in Rogers, Ark. This year marks the 17th season the Razorbacks have honored student-athletes at the Red Tie Dinner.
The 2013-14 honorees include Razorback Athletes of the Year Makeba Alcide (women's track and field) and Kevin Lazas (men's track and field), Razorback Scholar-Athlete award winners Keri Wood (women's track and field) and Nathanael Franks (men's track and field); and the Spirit of the Razorback award winners Bailee Zumwalde (gymnastics) and Kiero Small (football).
Each year, the Razorbacks recognize student-athletes whose performance throughout his or her career serves to lift up their sport to new heights and whose character exemplifies the goals of the athletic department. In addition to the dinner, attendees will enjoy a social hour before dinner as well as live and silent auctions.
This year's event takes place at the Embassy Suites in Rogers, Ark., and tickets are available to the general public. In addition, table sponsorships are available. For tickets or more information about tickets or being a sponsor call the Razorback Foundation at 479-443-9000.
RED TIE HONOREES
Keri Wood, WTF, Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- All-American and School Record holder in the DMR
- Currently completing Master’s in Business
Administration with a GPA of 4.0
- Completed an internship with Nielsen for over one year
while competing in intercollegiate athletics
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Marketing
and Minor in Economics in three years
- Honors College Fellow and Walton College Fellow
graduating with Honors from the Walton College of Business
- Walton College Senior Scholar and Outstanding Marketing
Student for 2011-2012
- Member of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Received Honors College Research Grant and published
subsequent research on Online Video Advertising at the 2012 SMA (Society
for Marketing Advances) Conference
- Two time SEC Academic Honor Roll honoree
- Capital One Academic All-American, Second Team 2012
Nathanael Franks, MTF, Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Graduate Cumulative (Business Administration) GPA 4.00
- Undergraduate (Physics, Chemistry/Biochemistry Honors) - Cumulative GPA 3.901
- Fulbright Honors College - Chancellor's Scholarship - completed undergrad studies in 2.5 years and earned two degrees in December, 2012, one in chemistry (magna cum laude) and one in physics.
- Fulbright Senior Scholar
- Study abroad - studied the Classics in Greece and Turkey in the summer of 2011. Rigorous, hands-on experience through the Samarian Gorge of Crete, the caves of Delphi, the Bosporus Strait of Istanbul.
- Conducted organic synthesis research: received an Honors College Grant, conducted research on the total synthesis of heterocyclic compounds and subsequent visible light photocatalysis using ruthenium ligans, forming carbon-nitrogen bonds via a cascade reaction and published a paper entitled "A Photo Touch on Amines: New Synthetic Adventures of Nitrogen Radical Cations" in this field.
- Arkansas Physics Times - wrote an article describing life within an Amish community after a living as an organic farm laborer for a week in their community.
- First Year Honor Society
- All-Discipline Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Alpha Epsilon Delta, world's largest premedical honor society, Alpha Chapter
- Founding father of the Fayetteville chapter of Beta Theta Pi fraternity
- International Culture Team - outreach effort to international students.
- Involved in the Recess organization which offers one-on-one mentoring of children with disabilities
- Dale Krueger Scholarship, August 2010 - Present
- Razorback Scholar-Athlete Award 2011 & 2012
- Southeastern Conference (SEC) Academic Honor Roll 2011 & 2012
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities, March 2011
- Capped his 2013 indoor season with his first career SEC title on Arkansas' distance-medley relay
- Razorbacks' top performer in the heptathlon at the SEC Championships, finishing third
- Recipient of the Wooden Citizenship Cup
Makeba Alcide, WTF, Female Athlete of the Year
- Collegiate record holder in the pentathlon and multi time NCAA All American plus in the World Championships
- Set the NCAA record Pentathlon when she scored 4,569 at the 2013 Indoor SEC Championships
- Four-time SEC Champion
- Eight time All-American
- Alcide was also an accomplished high jumper and played a pivotal part in the Razorbacks' run to the 2013 SEC Indoor Track Championship
Kevin Lazas, MTF, Male Athlete of the Year
- 2013 Indoor Championships heptathlon
- Lazas posted a personal-best performance in the 60-meter hurdles, extended his lead with a final clearance of 5.40m/17-8.5 in the pole vault
- First NCAA event title with a 1,000 meter time of 2:49.00
- His score of 6,175 makes Lazas the No. 3 scorer in collegiate history and represents the No. 4 all-time collegiate score
- Lazas, who entered the championship with a lifetime best of 6,042, set personal bests in four of seven events during the meet
- Arkansas school record holder
Bailee Zumwalde, GYM, Female Razorback Spirit Award
- Bailee is one of the most genuine and school spirited Razorbacks that has ever been in our program. Her daily enthusiasm and passion for her sport, team, program, and the department are unmatched. Bailer's spirit is not only for her team but also for all teams. She is a regular at other sporting events cheering and supporting her peers. She takes part in any and all community service activities and is always looking for ways to spread Razorback pride.
- Her positive and infectious attitude has helped our program reach the NCAA Championships in each of her three seasons to date and includes an NCAA Regional Championship and qualification to the Super Six. Bailee has been named Co-Captain by the coaching staff for the 2013-2014 season because of her passion, work ethic, loyalty, and commitment. Captains have not been named for the program since 2006.
- Bailee has been awarded the Spirit Award in our program for the past three seasons and will most likely have this award named after her at the completion of this season.
- Zumwalde returns for her fourth season as a Razorback
- 2nd team All-American on Floor in 2012
- Awarded the Gymback spirit Award three years in a row
- Named to the NACGC/W Academic Team three years in a row
- Named to the SEC Academic Honor roll three years in a row
- In 2013, competed in every meet
- In 2013, set career high on floor of 9.875
Kiero Small, FB, Male Razorback Spirit Award
- All-American honors in 2010
- Contributor in all 13 contest in 2011
- In 2012 suffered a season and potential career ending injury in practice
- Small was granted a medical red shirt and with his hard work and determination he fully recovered that injury
- With his leadership on and off the field Small was voted team captain by him teammates in 2013
- Extremely rare in college football Small has played both offense and defense for the Razorback
For more information on Arkansas athletics, follow @ArkRazorbacks on Twitter.