@RAZORBACKMBB (12-4, 11-2) at Georgia (8-7, 2-1)
Date: Saturday, January 18, 2014
Time: 12:30 P.M.
City: Athens, Ga.
Site: Stegeman Coliseum (10,523)
TV: SEC TV
Talent: Dave Baker (P-B-P) & Kyle Macy (Analyst)
Audio: Razorback/IMG Sports Network
Talent: Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Rick Schaeffer (Analyst)
Live Blog & Live Stats: www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
Hashtags: #Fastest40 | #WeHOGS
Current Streak: W1
Last 5 Games: 3-2
Last 10 Games: 8-2
Road Record: 0-1 | Current Streak: L4
Vs. Georgia: 17-13 | Streak: W1
Last Meeting: Arkansas, 62-60 • Feb. 21, 2013
AT A GLANCE
Coming off a dramatic last-second overtime win, Arkansas will look to carry that momentum into its road contest at Georgia on Saturday with Dave Baker and Kyle Macy on the call for SEC TV. Sophomore MICHAEL QUALLS’ put-back dunk with 0.2 seconds left in overtime against No. 13/12 Kentucky landed at No. 1 on SportsCenter’s Top 10 Plays and gave the Razorbacks their first SEC win of the season. Qualls (13.0 ppg) leads the high-octane Arkansas offense that leads the SEC and ranks 14th in the nation in scoring at 84.7 points per night. The Razorbacks are looking to snap a four-game SEC road losing streak.
@RazorbackMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Playing just second true road game this season.
• Lead the SEC and rank 14th in the nation in scoring (84.7).
• Only team in the SEC to score 100 points three times, which is the same total produced the
previous seven years combined.
• Only team in the SEC to be held below 70 points one time.
• Nine different players have reached double figures while six players have led the team in scoring.
• One of four SEC teams with four players averaging double-digits.
• Also lead the SEC in assists (16.4), scoring margin (+15.7), assist/turnover ratio (1.4) and
turnover margin (+6.6), a figure it has led the league in both years under coach Anderson.
• Turnover margin of +6.6 ranks fourth in the nation, while its out-scoring opponents by 11.9 per
game in points off turnovers.
• Won the turnover battle by double-digits five times and have scored 20+ points off turnovers in 10
• Finished with equal or more assists than turnovers in all but one game, while opponents have
accomplished the same feat just three times.
• Own a 4-0 record when passing out 20+ assists while coach Anderson is 79-1 all-time when his
teams accomplish the feat.
• Won the turnover battle in 19 of last 20 games dating back to last year and 68 of 80 games under
• The Arkansas bench is averaging 38.0 points, has supplied a double figure scorer in all but two
games and has out-scored the opposition 13 times resulting in a +14.8 per game margin.
• Forced opponents into 20 turnovers 20 times (19-1), including six times this season, under
Anderson, while coming away with 10+ steals in 29 contests (22-7).
• Anderson’s #Fastest40 style of play has resulted in his teams winning the turnover battle in 320 of
378 career games.
• Trailed for a total of 42:44 at home over 450 minutes in 11 games, and haven’t trailed at all in
• Averaging 89.5 points per game at home this season (10-1).
THREE OF A KIND
Junior RASHAD MADDEN has led Arkansas in scoring in each of the first three SEC games, averaging 17.7 points over that span. Madden is just the third player in program history to lead the way in scoring the first three SEC games and the first since SCOTTY THURMAN did so in 1993. Thurman averaged 26.3 points over the three games, while TODD DAY was the first to do it in Arkansas’ first year (1992) in the SEC. Day poured in 33 points per game during his three-game run, including 43 at LSU. No player has ever led the way in scoring the first four SEC contests.
Player PPG Year Opponents
Todd Day 33.0 1992 Auburn-35, @ Bama-21, at LSU-43
Scott Thurman 26.3 1993 Ole Miss-34, @ S. Carolina-24, Bama-21
Rashad Madden 17.7 2014 @ Texas A&M-12, Florida-23, Kentucky-18
Sophomore MICHAEL QUALLS’ game-winning dunk with 0.2 seconds left in overtime against No. 13/12 Kentucky was No. 1 on SportsCenter’s Top 10 Plays. Qualls has found his way into the #SCtop10 four times this season, while the game-winning dunk in OT wasn’t the first of his career. As a sophomore at Huntington HS in Shreveport, La., Qualls threw down a put-back dunk as time expired in OT on Jan. 12, 2010, in a 51-59 win against Byrd HS.
THIS DAY IN @RAZORBACKMBB HISTORY
Arkansas is 4-6 on Jan. 18, dating back to the 1959-60 campaign, the last year dates are available for each game. On this date in 1995, No. 9 Arkansas held off Georgia, 84-82, behind a combined 43 points by juniors CORLISS WILLIAMSON and SCOTTY THURMAN. It was Georgia’s first trip to Bud Walton Arena where the Razorbacks are 7-3 all-time vs. the Bulldogs. It was one of seven times on the year that Williamson and Thurman both reached 20 points in the same game.
HEAD COACHING MATCHUP
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 49-31 (3rd Season)
Overall Record: 249-129 (12th Season)
Vs. Georgia: 3-1
Head Coach: Mark Fox (Eastern New Mexico ‘91)
Record at Georgia: 73-70 (5th Season)
Overall Record: 196-113 (10th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 4-2
• Part of the four-way tie for third place in the SEC standings at 2-1 with an overall record of 8-7.
• Have won six straight at home, including SEC home opener vs. Alabama, and are 7-1 on the year.
• Opened SEC play by snapping Missouri’s 26-game home win streak, which was the longest in the
nation at the time.
• Own a 5-0 record when holding opponents under 60 points while its just 1-7 when opponent reaches
• Have been out-rebounded five times, going 0-5 when it occurs.
• Sophomore backcourt combo of Charles Mann and Kenny Gaines combine to average 25.3 points
per game and have led the team in scoring eight of 15 contests.
• Mann leads three players in double figures at 13.6 points per game, good for 17th in the SEC and
third among sophomores.
• The reigning SEC Player of the Week, Mann scores 37 percent of his 13.6 ppg at the free throw
Saturday will be the first of two meetings between the two teams this season, marking the first time they will have met twice in the regular season. Arkansas holds a 17-13 edge in the all-time series, but Georgia has taken three of the last four meetings. The Razorbacks are 4-7 in Athens, last winning there in 2010. Of the 30 meetings, nearly half (14) have been decided by 10 points or less, including eight separated by five points or less.
STARTING 5 QUICK 5 HITS
#00 Rashad Madden (G)
• Third player to lead the team in scoring first three SEC games.
• Averaging 17.7 points in league play to rank sixth in the SEC.
• Scored career-high 23 points vs. No. 10/11 Florida.
• Started last 10 contests; 13.9 ppg and 21-of-42 from three.
• Team-high 25 threes after 24 combined his first two years.
#12 Fred Gulley III (G)
• Committed just six turnovers of his last 225 minutes played.
• Scored nine points vs. Kentucky, including seven straight.
• Third on the team with 28 assists and just 10 turnovers.
• Has a positive or equal assist/turnover ratio in all but one game.
• Four multi-steal performances, including two of the last three.
#24 Michael Qualls (G)
• Game-winning dunk with 0.2 seconds left vs. Kentucky.
• Landed on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays four times this season.
• Tops on the team in scoring (13.0) and double figure outings (14).
• Team leader with 19 dunks.
• Has scored 208 points compared to 144 all of last season.
#04 Coty Clarke (F)
• Started the last eight games; 9.5 ppg & 7.3 rpg.
• Went for a double-double of 16 points and 14 boards vs. Florida.
• Has led the team on the boards five times.
• Fifth in the SEC in rebounding (8.7) in league play.
• Double-digit rebounds in two of the last three games & four total.
#10 Bobby Portis (F)
• Two-time SEC Freshman of the Week - Dec. 9 & Jan. 6.
• One of three SEC freshman in the T-25 in scoring & T-15 in boards.
• Second on the team in scoring (12.4) and tops in rebounding (6.6).
• Has led the way in scoring a team-high five times (4-1).
• Reached double figures in 12 games with three double-doubles.