FAYETTEVILLE -- The No. 49 University of Arkansas women's tennis team (4-1) wasted no time earning its second win over a ranked opponent this season, cruising to a 7-0 victory over No. 63 North Texas at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark., on Friday.
The Razorbacks jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point with wins from Yang Pang and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva, as well as Sarah McLean and Shannon Hudson.
Showing no signs of letting up, Arkansas then went on to a 6-0 sweep in singles play with each Razorback earning a win on the night.
"I was particularly pleased with how we came out in doubles and clearly took a step forward from last weekend to the point where we looked strong in doubles," head coach Michael Hegarty said. "Today, I was also impressed with how we kept the foot on the gas pedal all the way to the end against an extremely well coached team."
The Mean Green have won three Sun Belt Conference championships the last four years under the direction of head coach Sujay Lama, including back-to-back crowns in 2012 and 2013. North Texas also entered coming off a trip to the NCAA tournament last season.
Postseason aspirations of their own, Surin rolled to a 6-1, 6-1, win over Alexis Thoma at the four spot, followed by Pang defeating Anastasia Shestakova, 6-0, 6-2, on court one to give Arkansas a 3-0 lead. Shkorupeieva clinched the match point at No. 6, defeating Dane Joubert 6-3, 6-3.
A great kick-start win, the Razorbacks open with momentum for what will be a busy weekend of home action. Arkansas quickly turns around and welcomes Southern Illinois tomorrow for its second dual match in as many days and then will host matches against both No. 31 Oklahoma State and Oral Roberts on Sunday.
Arkansas and Southern Illinois University get underway at the George M. Billingsley Center tomorrow, Feb. 1, with first serve scheduled for 10 a.m.
For more information on Arkansas women's tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.
#49 Arkansas 7, #63 North Texas 0
1. No. 71 Yang Pang (AR) def. A. Shestakova (NTEX) 6-0, 6-2
2. No. 115 Shannon Hudson (AR) def. Kamilla Galieva (NTEX) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sarah McLean (AR) def. Agustina Valenzuela (NTEX) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Kimberley-Ann Surin (AR) def. Alexis Thoma (NTEX) 6-1, 6-1
5. Brittany Huxley (AR) def. Ana Sofia Cordero (NTEX) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Sasha Shkorupeieva (AR) def. Dane Joubert (NTEX) 6-3, 6-3
1. Surin/Huxley (ARK) vs. Sprinkmeyer/Valenzuela (NTEX) 5-2, unfinished
2. Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) def. Thoma/Galieva (NTEX) 6-1
3. McLean/Hudson (ARK) def. Joubert/Shestakova (NTEX) 6-0