– The University of Arkansas softball team completed its weekend sweep with a 10-0 win over UMKC Sunday afternoon at Bogle Park. The Razorbacks scored seven runs in the first on their way to the run-rule victory. Kasey Fagan
and Shelby Hiers
each hit a three-run home run while Grace Moll
and Sydney Wright
combined for a two-hit shutout. Arkansas has now won five straight games and improves to 7-3 on the year.
With a run already scored and runners on first and second, Fagan launched a three-run shot to left field that pushed the Razorbacks’ lead to 4-0. The home run was her third of the year and she leads the team with 15 RBI. Clarisa Navarro
and Claire Clark
followed with back-to-back singles and Hiers capped the inning with another three-run home run to left field for the first hit of her Arkansas career.
Moll faced the minimum through three innings of work and retired eight in a row after allowing a lead-off single. That runner was erased on a steal attempt with a strike down to second base from Hiers. Wright, who also collected her first career hit Sunday, recorded two scoreless innings in relief to reserve the shutout.
The Razorbacks added to their lead with three more runs in the second by way of two bases-loaded walks to Navarro and Hiers and a wild pitch that allowed Fagan to score from third. Arkansas has now scored at least 10 runs in four games this season and has plated at least eight runs in each of its seven wins.
• Team improves to combined 20-1 against teams playing in Arkansas Invitational: Butler (4-0), Jackson State (5-0), St. John’s (2-0) and UMKC (9-1).
• Outscored opponents 44-2 this weekend and allowed just one earned run.
• Seven-run first inning equals season high for runs in one inning; previously scored seven Feb. 7 in the fourth inning at UNLV.
• Freshmen Shelby Hiers
(HR in first inning) and Sydney Wright
(1B in fourth inning) recorded the first hits of their respective careers.
• Devon Wallace
added two more walks to her SEC-leading total, now has 14 free passes this season.
• Seven different players recorded at least one hit and seven different players scored at least one run in Sunday’s win.
• With 7-3 record, Arkansas is 13 wins away from 400 as a program.
• Team has scored at least eight runs in each of its seven wins this season.
• First midweek for @RazorbackSB, Wed v Northwestern St at #BoglePark, first pitch at 5p #WPS
• Don’t miss out on @RazorbackSB games at #BoglePark, season tix available now bit.ly/1hWLW4I
• Suite rentals at #BoglePark are available for the 2014 season bit.ly/1fnObYR
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.