FAYETTEVILLE -- The University of Arkansas Athletics Department and the Razorback Foundation honored the winners of the 17th Annual Red Tie Dinner and Auction Awards Saturday at a banquet at the Embassy Suites in Rogers, Ark.
The 2013-14 honorees include Razorback Athletes of the Year Makeba Alcide (women's track and field) and Kevin Lazas (men's track and field), Razorback Scholar-Athlete award winners Keri Wood (women's track and field) and Nathanael Franks (men's track and field); and the Spirit of the Razorback award winners Bailee Zumwalde (gymnastics) and Kiero Small (football).
Each year, the Razorbacks recognize student-athletes whose performance throughout his or her career serves to lift up their sport to new heights and whose character exemplifies the goals of the athletic department. In addition to the dinner, attendees enjoyed a social hour before dinner as well as live and silent auctions.
RED TIE HONOREES
4.0 GPA -- Business
- All-American and member of the distance medley relay team that broke the school record last year
- Currently completing Master’s in Business Administration with a GPA of 4.0
- Completed an internship with Nielsen for over one year while competing in intercollegiate athletics
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Marketing and Minor in Economics in three years
- Honors College Fellow and Walton College Fellow graduating with Honors from the Walton College of Business
- Walton College Senior Scholar and Outstanding Marketing Student for 2011-2012
- Member of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Received Honors College Research Grant and published subsequent research on Online Video Advertising at the 2012 SMA (Society for Marketing Advances) Conference
- Two time SEC Academic Honor Roll honoree
- Capital One Academic All-American, Second Team 2012
3.91/4.00 GPA -- Physics/Biochem/Business Admin.
- Fulbright Honors College - Chancellor's Scholarship - completed undergrad studies in 2.5 years and earned two degrees in December, 2012, one in chemistry (magna cum laude) and one in physics
- Fulbright Senior Scholar
- Study abroad - studied the Classics in Greece and Turkey in the summer of 2011. Conducted organic synthesis research: received an Honors College Grant, conducted research on the total synthesis of heterocyclic compounds and subsequent visible light photocatalysis using ruthenium ligans, forming carbon-nitrogen bonds via a cascade reaction and published a paper entitled "A Photo Touch on Amines: New Synthetic Adventures of Nitrogen Radical Cations" in this field
- .First Year Honor Society
- All-Discipline Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Alpha Epsilon Delta, world's largest premedical honor society, Alpha Chapter
- Founding father of the Fayetteville chapter of Beta Theta Pi fraternity
- International Culture Team - outreach effort to international students
- .Involved in the Recess organization which offers one-on-one mentoring of children with disabilities
- Dale Krueger Scholarship, August 2010 - Present
- Razorback Scholar-Athlete Award 2011 & 2012
- SEC Academic Honor Roll 2011 & 2012
- Capped his 2013 indoor season with his first career SEC title on Arkansas' distance-medley relay..Razorbacks' top performer in the heptathlon at the SEC Championships, finishing third
- Recipient of the Wooden Citizenship Cup
KINESIOLOGY: EXERCISE SCIENCE APPLIED
- Played a pivotal part in the Razorback’s run to the 2013 NCAA Championships…Collegiate record holder in the pentathlon, setting the NCAA record when she scored 4,569 at the 2013 Indoor SEC Championships
- Holds both the indoor and outdoor school record in high jump…Owns the Arkansas heptathlon record with 6,050 points recorded at the 2013 NCAA Championships… Four-time SEC Champion
- Eight time All-American…Competed in the 2013 World Championships in Russia last year.
FINANCE: FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT/INVESTMENT
- 2013 NCAA Heptathlon Champion
- Lazas posted a personal-best performance in the 60-meter hurdles, extended
- his lead with a final clearance of 5.40m/17-8.5 in the pole vault for the championship event title
- Earned his first NCAA event title with a 1,000 meter time of 2:49.00
- His score of 6,175 makes Lazas the No. 3 scorer in collegiate history and represents the No. 4 all-time collegiate score
- Lazas, who entered the championship with a lifetime best of 6,042, set personal bests in four of seven events during the meet
- Arkansas school record holder in the heptathlon…Ranks third all-time at Arkansas in pole vault.
KINESIOLOGY: EXERCISE SCIENCE APPLIED
- Her positive and infectious attitude has helped our program reach the NCAA Championships in each of her three seasons to date and includes an NCAA Regional Championship and qualification to the Super Six. Bailee has been named Co-Captain by the coaching staff for the 2014 season because of her passion, work ethic, loyalty, and commitment. Bailee has been awarded the Spirit Award in our program for the past three seasons and will most likely have this award named after her at the completion of this season
- .Zumwalde returns for her fourth season as a Razorback
- Second-team All-American on Floor in 2012
- Awarded the Gymback Spirit Award, the NACGC/W Academic Team and the SEC Academic Honor roll three years in a row
- In 2013, competed in every meet
- In 2013, set career high on floor of 9.875
- Junior College All-American honors in 2010
- Contributor in all 13 contests in 2011
- In 2012 suffered a season and potential career ending injury in practice
- Small was granted a medical redshirt and with his hard work and determination he fully recovered that injury
- With his leadership on and off the field Small was voted team captain by his teammates in 2013
- Extremely rare in college football but Small has practiced at both offense and defense for the Razorbacks.
For more information on Arkansas athletics, follow @ArkRazorbacks on Twitter.