EVANSTON, Ill. - The University of Arkansas women's tennis team dropped a tough battle to the host team in their opening match of ITA Kickoff Weekend. The Razorbacks' young talent performed well, but the team fell to No. 14 Northwestern 5-2. The loss drops Arkansas to 3-1 on the season.
Arkansas dropped the doubles point to start the match, as UA lost at number two and number three
doubles. The number 1 doubles duo of Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker was tied at 7-7 with the No. 42 duo of Linda Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton, which went unfinished when the Wildcats clinched the point.
Northwestern clinched the victory when No. 67 Kate Turvy defeated Yang Pang 6-1, 6-2. After falling behind in the match 5-0, both Paulson and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez took their matches into a third set and each earned victories. Paulson earned the first Razorback victory of the day with a 10-8 win in a super tiebreak over Veronica Corning, defeating her 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8). Belmar Hernandez also earned a three set victory by rallying to defeat Nida Hamilton 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3)
"Full credit to Northwestern for the victory," head coach Michael Hegarty said. "I thought we showed a good amount of toughness out there today and more than enough ability. That being said, Northwestern was a bit too experienced in the big moments. We take plenty of positives out of such a good quality match this early in the spring season."
The Razorbacks continue the ITA Kickoff on Saturday at 10 a.m. against Washington State.
No. 14 Northwestern 5 , No. 38 Arkansas 2
Complete Singles Results
1. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Veronica Corning (NU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 7-6, 6-4
4. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) def. Nida Hamilton (NU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3)
Complete Doubles Results
1. Claudine Paulson/ Segou Jonker (ARK) vs. Linda Abu Mushrefova / Nida Hamilton (NU) 7-7 (1-2), unfinished
2. Veronica Corning/Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin / Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 8-5
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Yang Pang/Brittany Huxley (ARK) 8-2