12/19 - 7:00 PM
MBB vs Tennessee-Martin
12/21 - 7:00 PM
MBB vs South Alabama
12/28 - 7:00 PM
MBB vs High Point
01/04 - 7:00 PM
MBB vs UTSA
01/08 - 8:00 PM
MBB at Texas A&M
01/11 - 12:00 PM
MBB vs Florida
01/14 - 8:00 PM
MBB vs Kentucky
01/18 - 12:30 PM
MBB at Georgia
01/22 - 7:00 PM
MBB at Tennessee
01/25 - 5:00 PM
MBB vs Auburn
01/28 - 6:00 PM
MBB vs Missouri
02/01 - 4:00 PM
MBB at LSU
02/05 - 7:00 PM
MBB vs Alabama
02/08 - 3:00 PM
MBB at Vanderbilt
02/13 - 6:00 PM
MBB at Missouri
FAYETTEVILLE - The University of Arkansas men's tennis team completed a doubleheader sweep Tuesday afternoon with wins over Lamar and UMKC at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center. The Razorbacks opened their day with a 7-0 victory against Lamar and finished things off with a 4-1 win over UMKC. The performance gives Arkansas a four-match winning streak and improves the team's record to 14-5 overall.
"We got exactly what we needed from these last four matches," head coach Robert Cox said. "I think we have a better idea of what kind of shape we're in and what we're capable of in some tight situations. We saw positives all over so that will help us as we get back into SEC play this weekend."
In the morning match against Lamar, Arkansas won the doubles point to jump out to an early lead. On court one, Manfred Jeske and Matt Walters teamed up for an 8-1 win over Marton Horvath and Rob Lee. The duo of Gregoire Lehmann and Mike Ward secured the first point of the match with an 8-5 win on court two. The Razorbacks' third team of Victor Hoang and Jovan Parlic were also in control of the action on court three, 7-3, when play was stopped.
Ward continued his winning ways in singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Horvath on court three during singles play. The team's third point came from Lehmann on court one with his 6-3, 6-0 victory over Lee. Walters posted a 6-3, 6-3 win on court two to clinch the dual win for the Razorbacks. The rest of the matches were played out and Arkansas collected singles wins from Parlic on court four, Hoang on court five and Taj Harrison on court six.
The Razorbacks fell behind in their afternoon match against UMKC. For the first time in the past four matches, the team dropped the doubles point and was forced to win four singles matches. Jeske and Harrison collected Arkansas' lone win during doubles play with an 8-0 win on court two.
Down a point on the team scoreboard, the Razorbacks' bottom four in the singles lineup produced victories. Hoang turned in his second win of the day with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court six. The next point came from Parlic who knocked off Cameron Schoenhofer on court four, 6-4, 6-0. Ward put the team on the brink with a straight-set win on court three. Arkansas clinched the match with a win by Harrison on court five. He posted a 7-6(5), 6-3 performance to secure the Razorbacks' second win of the day.
"It was really nice to see Taj get that win to close out the match (against UMKC)," Cox said. "He does all the right things away from the court and is really involved with all of our community service and SAAC on campus, so it was good to see him put in a good effort today. It's his birthday, so all the guys were really behind him as he was serving for the match."
After a four-match break from conference play, the Razorbacks resume SEC action Friday with a trip to Athens, Ga., to face the third-ranked Georgia Bulldogs. The team returns to Fayetteville Sunday to host No. 24 Tennessee at 1 p.m. (CT). For more information about Razorback tennis or University of Arkansas athletics, please visit ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
No. 43 Arkansas 7
1. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) def. Rob Lee (LMR), 6-3, 6-0
2. Matt Walters (ARK) def. Denis Ermilov (LMR), 6-3, 6-3*
3. Mike Ward (ARK) def. Marton Horvath (LMR), 6-2, 6-3
4. Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Carlos Valdenebro (LMR), 7-6(4), 6-2
5. Victor Hoang (ARK) def. Bruno Snyder (LMR), 6-1, 6-1
6. Taj Harrison (ARK) def. Mikko Rajamaki (LMR), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*, 5, 6, 4
1. Jeske/Walters (ARK) def. Horvath/Lee (LMR), 8-1
2. Lehmann/Ward (ARK) def. Ermilov/Valdenebro (LMR), 8-5
3. Hoang/Parlic (ARK) vs. Rajamaki/Snyder (LMR), 7-3^
Order of Finish: 1, 2
No. 43 Arkansas 4
1. Manfred Jeske (ARK) vs. Grant Fleming (UMKC), 6-3, 4-6, 2-0^
2. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) vs. Tomas Patino (UMKC), 2-6, 6-2, 2-2^
3. Mike Ward (ARK) def. Gustavo Guerin (UMKC), 7-5, 6-3
4. Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Cameron Schoenhofer (UMKC), 6-4, 6-0
5. Taj Harrison (ARK) def. Conner Edwards (UMKC) 7-6(5), 6-3*
6. Victor Hoang (ARK) def. Tim Akhmedov (UMKC), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 3, 5*
1. Fleming/Schoenhofer (UMKC) def. Lehmann/Ward (ARK), 8-6
2. Harrison/Jeske (ARK) def. Akhmedov/Guerin (UMKC), 8-0
3. Edwards/Patino (UMKC) def. Hoang/Parlic (ARK), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
* - clinch match || ^ - unfinished