08/29 - 7:00 PM
VB vs Tennessee State
08/30 - 11:00 AM
VB vs Stephen F. Austin
08/30 - 7:00 PM
VB vs Michigan
09/04 - 6:00 PM
VB at Kansas State
09/05 - 5:00 PM
VB vs UCF
09/06 - 1:00 PM
VB vs Middle Tennessee
09/09 - 7:00 PM
VB vs Oral Roberts
09/12 - 7:00 PM
VB vs South Dakota
09/13 - 11:00 AM
VB vs Stony Brook
09/13 - 7:00 PM
VB vs SMU
09/19 - 9:30 AM
VB vs Cleveland State
09/19 - 5:30 PM
VB vs North Texas
09/20 - TBA
VB at Kansas
09/26 - 7:00 PM
VB vs Tennessee
09/28 - 1:30 PM
VB vs Mississippi State
FAYETTEVILLE -- The No. 51 University of Arkansas women's tennis team (3-0) remained unbeaten and earned a 4-2 victory over No. 55 Kansas State (0-1) in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Kickoff Weekend at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts in Athens, Ga., on Friday.
Opening with the doubles point and a win at number two singles, the Razorbacks jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, but the Wildcats fought back and made things interesting by trimming the lead to 3-2. Arkansas ultimately ended the comeback bid, clinching the 4-2 win with a straight-set victory at number six singles.
"It was the tale of two matches out there today," head coach Michael Hegarty said. "For the first 2.5 hours, we were fantastic across the board. We had very sharp doubles play and some quality singles work. The last hour was not quite as impressive, so hopefully we can be more complete as a group for the whole match tomorrow."
Arkansas started the dual match with an early 2-0 advantage, taking both the doubles point and a win at number two singles courtesy Hudson. Having been named SEC Freshman of the Week on Wednesday, Hudson played a large role in the quick start, continuing her strong freshman-season debut by improving to 3-0 in singles play and 2-0 in doubles.
Sarah McLean gave the Razorbacks a 3-1 lead with her win at number three singles, but Iva Bago bested Kimberley - Ann Surin in a grueling match at number four singles, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-1), 1-0 (10-6), which allowed the Wildcats to pull back within one at 3-2.
Freshman Oleksandra Shkorupeieva clinched the victory for the Razorbacks, locking up a straight-set victory at number six singles (6-3, 7-5) that closed out the 4-2 Arkansas win.
For more information on Arkansas women's tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.
No. 51 Arkansas 4, No. 55 Kansas State 2
1. No. 42 Petra Niedermayerova (KST) def. No. 71 Yang Pang (AR) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. No. 115 Shannon Hudson (AR) def. Maria Panaite (KST) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Sarah McLean (AR) def. Palma Juhasz (KST) 0-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-6)
4. Iva Bago (KST) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (AR) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-1), 1-0 (10-6)
5. Brittany Huxley (AR) def. Amina St. Hill (KST) 1-6, 5-4, unfinished
6. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (AR) def. Liva Cirnu (KST) 6-3, 7-5
1. Huxley/Surin (AR) def. Niedermayerova/Juhasz (KST) 4-3, unfinished
2. Pang/Shkorupeieva (AR) def. Panaite/Bago (KST) 6-2
3. Hudson/McLean (AR) def. St. Hill/Cirnu (KST) 6-2