– The University of Arkansas softball team avoided a weekend sweep with a 15-7 win Sunday at Ole Miss. The Razorbacks pounded out 14 hits on their way to an SEC-season high run total. Devon Wallace
and Amanda Geile
accounted for seven RBI at the plate and Kasey Fagan
earned her fifth win in the circle. With the victory, the Arkansas improves to 22-10 overall and 2-4 in Southeastern Conference play.
The Razorbacks posted their highest run total in an SEC game since scoring 18 runs during the 2010 season against Mississippi State. The team continues its week-long road trip with a Tuesday doubleheader at Jackson State. First pitch of the twin bill is scheduled for 4 p.m.
For the second time in as many games, Arkansas struck first with three runs in the first inning with RBI hits from Clarisa Navaro, Fagan and Jessica Harrison. The Razorbacks broke it open with a seven-run third inning highlighted by a grand slam off the bat of Wallace, good for her ninth of the season and 37th of her career. The frame also featured RBI hits from Geile and Chloe Oprzedek
. Arkansas batted around in the inning, scoring on six hits.
Ole Miss (19-14, 3-6 SEC) scored four runs during the third and fourth innings to cut into the Razorbacks’ lead but the visitors responded with five runs in the top of the fifth to re-establish a double-digit advantage. Pinch hitter Claire Clark
capped the scoring with a two-run single. Wallace drew her SEC-leading 34th walk during the frame, good for the 166th of her career which moves her into a tie for 25th in NCAA history.
The Rebels attempted to extend the game with three runs in the bottom of the fifth but Kelly Young
struck out the final hitter of the game with a runner on third base.
• All-time series vs. Ole Miss: Arkansas leads, 31-22
o 15-13 in games played in Oxford
• Most runs scored in an SEC game since 18 runs vs. Mississippi State in 2010
• 14th run-rule victory of the season
• Scored 10 or more runs in 12 games this season
o Third game with 15 or more runs
• Scored five or more runs in one inning 16 times this season
• Tallied 10 or more hits for the 13th time this season
• Devon Wallace
is now tied for 25th in NCAA history with 166 career walks
• Third stop of @RazorbackSB week-long road trip is Jackson, Miss., for Tuesday doubleheader starting at 4p. #NeverYield
• Next @RazorbackSB home series at #BoglePark: March 28-30 v Texas A&M. #NeverYield
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.