FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas sent its five seniors out in style on Saturday, downing LSU 4-1 in the Razorbacks' SEC regular season finale.
Arkansas continued its strong doubles play, notching wins on courts one and two within minutes of each other. Seniors Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske, now ranked 59th in the country, struck first with an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 doubles position over #62 Tam Trinh and Eric Perez. Redshirt seniors Hall Fess and Pete Thomason came next, taking down Boris Arias and Justin Butsch 8-7 (7-4) on court 2, notching their 18th doubles victory together this spring.
The Razorbacks opened singles play with a 1-0 lead over the Tigers. Freshman Johan den Toom scored the first singles point for Arkansas, racing to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over LSU’s Harrison Kennedy on court five. Junior Jovan Parlic fell to Tam Trinh on court 4, 6-2, 6-3, to give LSU their first and only point of the day, with the score at 2-1.
Arkansas held leads on the remaining four courts and Jeske was close to finishing off his opponent on court two. Jeske battled to a 6-4 finish in his first set but came out swinging in the second, flying to a 6-2 victory over Butsch.
Jeske’s victory put the Razorbacks up 3-1 with Nott, Fess and sophomore Santiago Munoz all closing in on victory. After winning the first set, Nott and Fess both dropped the second, forcing a third on courts one and three. Both held one point leads over their opponents but Munoz was even closer to victory.
After falling behind in his first set, Munoz rallied keep the match tight and evened the score at 6-6, forcing a tiebreaker. Munoz blazed to a 7-3 tiebreaker victory and kept the momentum going into his second set. Racing out to a 5-2 lead, Munoz and Nott were both within one point of clinching the Arkansas victory. Munoz was able to get there first, closing his last game 40-0 and closing his second set at 6-2. The Razorbacks defeated LSU 4-1 for their third league victory of 2014.
Arkansas will return to play on Wednesday as the team heads to Nashville for the SEC Tournament.
Live stats can be found at www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com as well as by following @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.
How They Won:
• @RazorbackMTEN won the doubles point for the 15th time in 2014 and sixth time in SEC play
• Arkansas seniors went a perfect 2-0 in doubles play and won or were leading all three singles
matches against LSU
• Freshman Johan den Toom won his fifth SEC singles match and 12th spring match at the No. 5
singles position, a team-high in 2014 and career-high for the freshman
• Senior Manfred Jeske's win was his fifth in league play, which includes three victories over ranked
• Sophomore Santiago Munoz recorded his first tiebreaker win and first league victory in 2014 to
clinch Saturday's victory
• Saturday's victory over LSU was @RazorbackMTEN's 3rd SEC victory of the season, the first season
since 2008 with three wins in league play
@RazorbackMTEN Tweetables (140 characters or less)
• .@RazorbackMTEN took down LSU Sat on Senior Day, ARK's first 3 win SEC season since 2008
• .@RazorbackMTEN won the doubles point for the 6th SEC match, 15th time in 2014 #NeverYield
• Fess/Thomason have now won 18 matches at No. 2 doubles and lead the team in 2014 doubles
• Seniors went a perfect 3-0 on @RazorbackMTEN Senior Day, downed LSU 4-1 #WPS
LSU vs Arkansas
Apr 12, 2014 at
Arkansas 4, LSU 1
1. Mike Nott (AR) vs. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-4, 3-6, 5-4
2. Manfred Jeske (AR) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Andrew Korinek (LSU) vs. Hall Fess (AR) 4-6, 6-3, 4-3
4. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Jovan Parlic (AR) 6-2, 6-3
5. Johan den Toom (AR) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Santiago Munoz (AR) def. Eric Perez (LSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Mike Nott/Manfred Jeske (AR) def. Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-3
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (AR) def. Boris Arias/Justin Butsch (LSU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Andrew Korinek/Harrison Kennedy (LSU) vs. Jacob Herndon/Jovan Parlic (AR) 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,4,2,6)