FAYETTEVILLE – For the third time this season, the University of Arkansas softball team hit a walk-off home run to clinch a 10-0 win Saturday evening over St. John's at Bogle Park. Claire Clark hit the game winner that also secured the Razorbacks' fourth win in a row. In the circle, Kimmy Beasley struck out six Red Storm hitters in five innings of work. Arkansas closes out the home weekend Sunday at noon (CT) with a game against UMKC.
The Razorbacks scored eight runs over the final two innings to remain perfect during the team’s home-opening Arkansas Invitational. The team drew a season-high nine walks including four in the five-run fourth inning; three of those base runners eventually came around to score. With three runs already scored in the inning, Kasey Fagan hit a double down the left-field line to plate Devon Wallace and Parker Pocklington.
After back-to-back singles by Stephanie Canfield and Jayme Gee in the fifth inning, Clark stepped to the plate needing just a single to end the game by way of the five-inning run rule. Instead, the sophomore outfielder took a 1-1 pitch and deposited it over fence in center field. The game-ending home run is her second of the season, having previously done so Feb. 8 against San Diego.
Beasley added five scoreless innings to her weekend resume. The Foreman, Ark., native also tallied six strikeouts while issuing just one walk. She ran into trouble in the second inning with runners on second and third with no outs but coaxed a pop out followed by two strikeouts to end the threat. Beasley has 16 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched this weekend, and needs just three more to notch the 300th of her career.
• Improves to 19-1 against the teams competing at the Arkansas Invitational: Butler (4-0), Jackson State (5-0), St. John’s (2-0) and UMKC (8-1).
• Team has scored at least eight runs in all six wins this season.
• Team drew season-high nine walks and tied a season high with three stolen bases.
• With 6-3 record, Arkansas is 14 wins away from 400 as a program.
• Back to the field Sunday afternoon to play UMKC > first pitch at Noon at #Bogle Park #WPS
• Don’t miss out on @RazorbackSB games at #BoglePark, season tix available now bit.ly/1hWLW4I
• Suite rentals at #BoglePark are available for the 2014 season bit.ly/1fnObYR
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.