ATHENS, Ga. – University of Arkansas sophomore Gabriela Lopez
fired an event single-round record six-under 66 to tie for the lead after stroke play at the 34th Annual Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic in Athens, Ga., Friday.
Lopez and Hana Lee of Northwestern were both six-under for the day. Lopez’s score paced the fourth-ranked Razorbacks to second place with a first-day 291, behind Northwestern who is in the clubhouse with an event record 11-under 277 Friday. Lopez gets credit for the individual title as the teams move to match play for the remainder of the tournament.
Arkansas shot three-over with a 291 in the first round, trailing only Northwestern who opened with a course record 11-under 277.
“It was a pretty solid day for us,” Arkansas head coach Shauna Estes-Taylor
said. “It was a pretty exceptional round by Gaby today. It was really a clinic on ball hitting, course management and committing to her game plan. It was an awesome job to shoot 66 and have eight birdies.”
Sophomore Regina Plasencia
is tied for 11th overall shooting a one-over 73, followed by Emily Tubert
, Emma Lavy
and Summar Roachell
who are all tied for 30th with 76s.
“I’m also really proud of Regina,” Estes-Taylor said. “She has been working so hard and is back on the right track. She has really put her energy and focus in the right place. It was a great team effort today.
“We have to switch modes as we move into match play Saturday,” she continued. “We are doing a lot of good stuff and you still have to commit to hitting good shots and control the things we can control.”
With the second-place stroke play finish, Arkansas moves into the Red Bracket and faces Denver in the first match of the day. The winner moves on to face the winner of Alabama/Mississippi State and the loser moves into the consolation bracket taking on the loser of that match.
Inside The Ropes
* The rest of the field includes: No. 23 Northwestern 277, No. 4 Arkansas 291, No. 10 Alabama 293, No. 1 Southern California 294, No. 28 Auburn and No. 36 Mississippi State 299, No. 41 Denver 304, No. 26 North Carolina State 305, No. 31 Texas A&M and No. 20 Michigan State 307, No. 22 Iowa State and No. 50 Georgia 308, No. 110 Indiana 312, No. 84 Troy 316, Dayton State 318 and No. 162 Georgetown 322.
* Arkansas’ Gabriela Lopez
and Northwestern’s Hana Lee shot a course record six-under 66 in the first round
* Arkansas faces Denver in the first match Saturday
* Teams will play two matches, 36 holes, on Saturday
* Arkansas led the field on the par 3s, tying Northwestern and playing one-over
* Arkansas was second on the par 4s averaging 4.16 at plus-eight on the round
* Arkansas was fourth in the field on the par 5s
* Arkansas tied for second with 18 birdies on the day
* Sophomore Gabriela Lopez
led the field in par 4 scoring playing five-under and averaging 3.50
* Gaby Lopez led the field with eight birdies
* Senior Emma Lavy
tied for sixth in the field with 12 pars