LAS VEGAS, Nev.
– The University of Arkansas softball team closed out its season-opening weekend with a 5-0 loss to No. 16/18 Baylor at the Sportco Kick-Off Classic in Las Vegas. Stephanie Canfield
and Chloe Oprzedek
each recorded hits against Baylor starter Whitney Canion. With Sunday’s result, the Razorbacks drop to 2-3 on the young season.
The Bears scored first with the help of an RBI groundout in the bottom of the second inning and added two more runs with a home run by Lindsey Cargill in the third. Kimmy Beasley
, in her first start of the season, rebounded from the long ball to strike out the next two Baylor hitters to get out of the inning. Beasley registered four strikeouts and did not allow a walk in four innings of work Sunday. Washington added its final runs with another two-run shot off Sydney Wright
in the sixth.
In the top of the fourth, the Razorback put together a two-out threat. Canfield knocked a base hit into right field and advanced to second base after Parker Pocklington
drew a walk. With runners at first and second and two outs, Canion responded with a strikeout to keep Arkansas off the scoreboard. The Razorbacks went down in order in innings five, six and seven to end the game.
• Arkansas started five different pitchers in its five games at the Sportco Kick-Off Classic
o JR Kasey Fagan
vs. UC Davis
o SO Kelly Young
o FR Sydney Wright
vs. San Diego
o FR Grace Moll
vs. No. 5/3 Washington
o JR Kimmy Beasley
vs. No. 16/18 Baylor
• Baylor was the second of 10 opponents this season either ranked or receiving votes in the preseason polls; Arkansas played No. 5/3 Washington on Saturday.
• Junior Kelsey Berlin
made her Razorback debut and returned the only hitter she faced with a flyout to left field.
• Home opener for @RazorbackSB Feb 13-16 at #BoglePark > Season tix available bit.ly/1jgBPbK
• Suite rentals available at #BoglePark for the 2014 season bit.ly/1ksVPZl
The Razorbacks return to Fayetteville for their home opener Feb. 13-16 with the Arkansas Invitational at Bogle Park. Arkansas opens play with two games Thursday against Jackson State at 3:30 p.m. (CT) and Butler at 6 p.m. Arkansas is also scheduled to play North Carolina State, St. John’s and UMKC during the four-day competition.
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.