FT. MYERS, Fla.
– Coupled with a 12-0 victory Saturday morning over Villanova, the University of Arkansas softball team used a comeback against host FGCU to complete an undefeated day two at the FGCU/Four Points by Sheraton Round Robin. The Razorbacks posted a 14-7 win over the Eagles in the team’s final game of the day. With Saturday’s results, Arkansas extends its winning streak to 10 games and improves to 12-3 on the season.
The Razorbacks close out their weekend Sunday morning with one game, a 10:15 a.m. (CT) matchup with Harvard. It will be the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
GAME 1 vs. Villanova
For the fifth-straight game, the Razorbacks scored in the first inning with six runs off two Villanova pitchers. Amanda Geile
got the scoring started with a two-run triple to plate Devon Wallace
and Kasey Fagan
. From the nine spot in the lineup, Claire Clark
brought in the final two runs with a single up the middle. Arkansas added a pair of unearned runs in the third to put the run-rule in effect. In the fourth, pinch hitter Megan Pearson
cleared the bases with a double to cap the scoring.
continued Arkansas’ strong run of pitching performances during the weekend with a one-hit shutout. She faced the minimum through five innings with the help of a double play in the second inning and a thrown-out runner by Jayme Gee
to end the game. Ten of the 15 outs recorded were off a groundball with Wright fielding her position well with four assists and one putout.
GAME 2 vs. FGCU
Trailing by three runs heading into the sixth inning, the Razorback bats exploded for nine runs to go ahead on the scoreboard for the team’s first lead of the game. Each spot in the lineup scored once during the frame including the go-ahead run by Parker Pocklington
who scored on a two-run single by Chloe Oprzedek
. The effort against the Eagles marks Arkansas’ first come-from-behind win of the year and was the team’s first time trailing since Feb. 9 against No. 16 Baylor.
In the circle, Kelly Young
registered 6.2 innings of relief work and gave up just two earned runs to keep Arkansas in the game. She struck out four hitters en route to earning her second win of the season. Oprzedek finished the game with two hits including her first home run of the season, a two-run shot in the second inning. She also led the team with four RBI. Clarisa Navarro
went 3-for-4 at the plate and was one of four Razorbacks to score twice against FGCU.
• First-ever meeting vs. Villanova, Florida Gulf Coast
• Outscoring opponents 112-11 during current 10-game winning streak
• Megan Pearson
registered the first RBI of her career in fourth inning vs. Villanova
• Chloe Oprzedek
moves into tie for eighth place on program list with 17 career home runs
• Scored eight or more runs in each win this season
• Win against Villanova was sixth-consecutive game won in five innings
• Averaging 14.75 runs per game during the weekend
• Saturday’s wins are the 491st and 492nd in program history
• Weekend action continues Sunday for @RazorbackSB at FGCU Tournament in Ft. Myers, Fla. #WPS
• Don’t miss out on @RazorbackSB games at #BoglePark, season tix available now bit.ly/1hWLW4I
• Next home series for @RazorbackSB: Wooo Pig Classic, Feb. 28-March 2 at #BoglePark
• Suite rentals at #BoglePark are available for the 2014 season bit.ly/1fnObYR
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.