ATHENS, Ga. - In a pair of matches on Sunday, No. 50 Arkansas women's tennis earned a split, following a morning win over Kennesaw State with a loss to No. 3 Georgia. Arkansas' record now stands at 11-14 on the year, and 3-9 in conference play.
"We had some strong play from the top of the lineup again today," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "Ultimately Georgia's depth was the difference. I also thought they played the best doubles we have seen this year."
Facing their second top three opponent in the last three matches, the Razorbacks got behind 1-0 after doubles play. Although Flavia Araujo and Sarah McLean were tied 4-4 at No. 3 doubles, Georgia clinched the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 with wins by two ranked doubles pairs. No. 4 Silvia Garcia / Kate Fuller defeated No. 74 Claudine Paulson / Segou Jonker 8-3, and No. 59 Lauren Herring / Maho Kowase beat Yang Pang / Brittany Huxley 8-2.
At the top three spots, three ranked players finished off the shutout for Georgia. No. 47 Yang Pang won the lone Razorback set of the match, taking the first set from No. 8 Lauren Herring 6-4. After Herring took the second set, it went to a tiebreak for the third set and the match, which Pang dropped 10-5.
In the morning match, Arkansas cruised to a 7-0 victory over Kennesaw State. Arkansas won easily at all three doubles spots to clinch the doubles point. Jonker/Paulson and Huxley/Pang won 8-2, while McLean/Araujo earned an 8-1 victory.
In singles, Araujo, Paulson, and McLean won in straight sets to clinch the match. The Razorbacks clinched the 7-0 shutout win with a trio of three set victories. Brittany Huxley recovered from dropping the first set to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. Yang Pang did the same, winning 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6). Segou Jonker went to a tiebreaker in the final set, winning 6-3, 3-6, 7-5.
The Razorbacks are back in action next Saturday, hosting LSU. The match will be Senior Day, where Arkansas will honor senior Claudine Paulson. First serve is at 1 p.m.
Georgia 7, Arkansas 0
3. Flavia Arujo / Sarah McLean (ARK) - Lilly Kimbell / Ayaka Okuno (UGA) - 4-4, unfinished
Complete Singles Results
1. No. 8 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. No. 47 Yang Pang (ARK) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
2. No. 18 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. No. 97 Claudine Paulson (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 86 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
5. Ayaka Okuno (UGA) def. Flavia Araujo (ARK) 6-2, 6-1
6. Mia King (UGA) def. Segou Jonker (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
Arkansas 7, Kennesaw State 0
Complete Doubles Results
3. Flavia Arujo / Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Therese Lagerkvist / Blaire LaSure (KSU) 8-1
Complete Singles Results
1. No. 47 Yang Pang (ARK) def. Virginie Stein (KSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
2. No. 97 Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) 7-6, 6-0
3. Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Therese Lagerkvist (KSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1