FAYETTEVILLE -- The No. 51 University of Arkansas women's tennis team (3-1) was handed its first loss of the season at the hands of No. 4 Georgia (2-0), as the Razorbacks fell 5-0 in the Round of 32 at ITA Kickoff Weekend, held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga., on Sunday.
The Bulldogs and Razorbacks went right down to the wire for the early doubles point, but Silvia Garcia and Kate Fuller siezed the point and momentum with a 6-4 victory over Yang Pang and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva. Georgia went on to quickly win four singles matches and complete the sweep of Arkansas.
Shannon Hudson suffered her first individual loss of the season, topped by No. 10 Silvia Garcia 6-1, 6-3. Ranked No. 115 herself, the freshman entered the day with a 3-0 record in singles and 2-0 mark in doubles play.
Arkansas will have its chance to return the favor when the two teams meet again during the SEC season on April 4 in Fayetteville. The Bulldogs hold a 25-3 all-time record over the Razorbacks.
The Razorbacks return home and will have plenty of action between four dual matches next week, beginning Friday against North Texas. Arkansas will also welcome Southern Illinois to the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center on Saturday, then host both Oklahoma State and Oral Roberts on Sunday.
For more information on Arkansas women's tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.
No. 4 Georgia 5, No. 51 Arkansas 0
1. No. 4 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. No. 71 Yang Pang (AR) 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 10 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. No. 115 Shannon Hudson (AR) 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 25 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Sarah McLean (AR) 6-3, 6-1
4. No. 33 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (AR) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) vs. Brittany Huxley (AR) 0-1, unfinished
6. Mia King (UGA) def. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (AR) unfinished
1. No. 5 Herring/Kowase (UGA) def. Surin/Huxley (AR) 6-1
2. Garcia/Fuller (UGA) def. Pang/Shkorupeieva (AR) 6-4
3. Kimbell/Brinson (UGA) def. Hudson/McLean (AR) 5-5, unfinished