FAYETTEVILLE – Lady Razorback sophomore Nanar Airapetian picked up her 14th win of the 2007 spring season on Fridayover the University of Florida’s No. 56 Csilla Borsanyi, 6-2, 6-1. The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team fell in the dual match to the Gators, 6-1.
Airapetian’s win marks her first victory over a ranked opponent and her first career Southeastern Conference win. Overall this season, the Hamburg, Germany, native is 14-10.
The singles score 6-2, 6-4 proved to be an unlucky one for the Lady’Backs (7-7, 0-5) on Friday, however. Three Arkansas players fell by the same score, allowing Florida (12-1, 3-1) to take the match midway through singles.
In doubles, Airapetian paired up with junior Maryori Franco for a doubles upset win over UF’s Nina Suvak and Whitney Benik. The Florida pair was ranked 59th in the country, making thevictory the largest upset ever for Airapetian and Franco. With the win, the Lady’Back pair improves to 7-3 in doubles this spring.
“We had our chances this afternoon in doubles,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “If things had gone our way in doubles, the singles would have been even tighter than it was.”
The Lady’Backs return to the UA Varsity courts on Sunday, March 25, to face off against their last SEC Eastern Division opponent, South Carolina. Due to travel plans, the match has been moved up to 11:00 a.m. For more information, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results:
Florida 6, Arkansas 1
March 23, 2007
1. #39 Diana Srebrovic (UF) def. #25 Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-2, 6-4
2. #82 Nina Suvak (UF) def. Maryori Franco (UA) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. #56 Csilla Borsanyi (UF) 6-2, 6-1
4. Anastasiya Revzina (UF) def. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-2, 6-4*
5. Whitney Benik (UF) def. Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lolita Frangulyan (UF) def. Melissa Hoffmeister (UA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. #59 Nina Suvak/Whitney Benik (UF) 8-5*
2. Csilla Borsanyi/Diana Srebrovic (UF) def. Audrey Bordeleau/Ela Kaluder (UA) 8-4
3. Anastasiya Revzina/Lolita Frangulyan (UF) def. Melissa Hoffmeister/Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 5,6,3,4,1,2 3,1,2
— LADY RAZORBACKS —