DALLAS, Texas — With the team score tied 1-1, the Arkansas men’s tennis team and SMU saw five singles matches go into their third and deciding sets. The Razorbacks (4-2) pulled out three of those matches and defeated the Mustangs (4-3) 4-3 on Sunday evening. Playing at No. 2 singles for the second time all season, Jose Salazar clinched the deciding point with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over SMU’s Samm Butler.
“This was a battle much like the last two matches, but this time we got over the hump,” head coach Andy Jackson said. “Mike Redlicki winning twice and Jose Salazar clinching were some of many highlights. Still, we can play better and are looking forward to making even more progress.
• Mike Redlicki knocked off two nationally-ranked opponents on the day. He teamed up with partner Giammarco Micolani at No. 1 doubles to defeat SMU’s No. 27 Johnson twins by a score of 6-4, then defeated No. 31 Hunter Johnson 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-2 at the top singles spot.
• Between Redlicki and Micolani, Arkansas boasts a 5-1 record at No. 1 singles. The Razorbacks have produced the most points from the top spot in the lineup.
• With their 7-5 doubles point-clinching win over the Mustangs’ No. 3 pair of Markus Kerner and Ronald Slobodchikov, Santiago Munoz and Johan den Toom improved to a team-best 4-1 on the season.
• At the No. 6 spot in the lineup for the first time, Adam Sanjurjo clinched his third singles victory of the season with a comeback 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 victory over SMU’s Arkadijs Slobodkins.
The Razorbacks return to Dills Indoor Courts next weekend, as they play Jackson State in a quad match that begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20. Arkansas then turns around to face Santa Clara on Sunday, Feb. 21 at 12 noon.
1. Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) def. #27 Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (SMU) 6-4
2. #32 Nate Lammons/Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) def. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-4
3. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) def. Markus Kerner/Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) 7-5
1. Mike Redlicki (AR) def. #31 Hunter Johnson (SMU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. Jose Salazar (AR) def. Samm Butler (SMU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. #66 Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Giammarco Micolani (AR) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Markus Kerner (SMU) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
5. Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) def. William Albanese (AR) 6-1, 6-2
6. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,1,3,4,2)