Arkansas Takes Out DePaul, 5-2
BY ANDRES FOCIL
CHICAGO, Ill.- Arkansas (3-0), No. 25 in the nation, handled its first match of its Chicago weekend Friday as it defeated DePaul 5-2 at the Combe Tennis Center at Northwestern University.
“We looked a little rusty after taking the last two weeks off of competitive play,” head coach Robert Cox said. “We needed to get back on the court, and I’m proud of our guys for pulling this match out.”
With Adrians Zguns, No. 14 in the nation, out of action with the flu, Arkansas was forced to switch its lineup around Friday against DePaul. At number one singles, Nathan Price, No. 50 in the nation, faced Mark Henderson. Price defeated Henderson, 6-2, 6-0. Number two singles saw Matt Simpson, who played four singles in the previous two matches, taking on DePaul’s Robert Kotroczo. Simpson took out Kotroczo, 6-4, 6-2. Rohan Gajjar and George Wang played at three singles in a match that would be decided in two tiebreaker sets won by Gajjar, 7-6, 7-6. At number six singles, Imraan Ismail faced Will Wang. Ismail would take the match by a break in each set, 6-3, 6-4. Matt Roberts faced Sam Davidson at four singles. Davidson won the match, 6-4, 7-5. At five singles, Viktor Hebrand played five singles against Eric Huffman. Hebrand took the first set, 4-6, but would lose the next two in close sets, 7-6, 6-4 to lose the match, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.
Arkansas went up 1-0 by winning the doubles point. Arkansas’ Matt Roberts and Imraan Ismail won at two doubles, while Rohan Gajjar and Viktor Hebrand won at three doubles.
Arkansas will complete its weekend in Chicago Sunday when it plays No. 37 Northwestern at 1 p.m. at the Combe Tennis Center.
1. #50 Nathan Price(AR) def. Mark Henderson(DU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Matt Simpson(AR) def. Robert Kotroczo(DU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Rohan Gajjar(AR) def. George Wang(DU), 7-6, 7-6
4. Sam Davidson(DU) def. Matt Roberts(AR), 6-4, 7-5
5. Eric Huffman(DU)def. Viktor Hebrand(AR)
6. Imraan Ismail(AR) def. Will Wang(DU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Mark Henderson/ Sam Davidson(DU) def. . Matt Simpson/Nathan Price(AR), 8-6
2. Matt Roberts/Imraan Ismail(AR) def. Radek Guznik/ Eric Huffman(DU), 8-4
3. Rohan Gajjar/Viktor Hebrand(AR) def. George Wang/Robert Kotroczo(DU), 8-2
Sports Category :