Arkansas Baseball Notebook
April 21, 2008
Overall Record: 22-17
Tuesday, April 15: Oral Roberts 12, Arkansas 2
Wednesday, April 16: Arkansas 9, Alcorn State 1
Friday, April 18: Arkansas 5, #30 Tennessee 4
Saturday, April 19: Arkansas 5, #30 Tennessee 4 (10 innings)
Sunday, April 20: #30 Tennessee 7, Arkansas 6 (10 innings)
Noting the Razorbacks
Arkansas produced its first three-game win streak since early March by defeating Alcorn State on Wednesday and picking up the first two games against #30 Tennessee … Arkansas’ series victory against the Volunteers is its second series win against a ranked-SEC opponent in two weeks (#21 Florida) … The Razorbacks moved from fifth in the SEC West to third with its two victories … Catcher Ryan Cisterna and designated hitter Jeff Nutt each have eight-game hitting streaks heading into this week’s slate of games … Cisterna is batting .375 over his last eight contests with seven runs scored, five RBI and three home runs … Cisterna belted a game-winning home run against Tennessee on Friday night then hit two more on Saturday against the Volunteers … Nutt’s hitting streak has him batting .444 over the past eight games with 12 hits, eight runs, nine RBI, four home runs and his second stolen base of his career … After returning to the Arkansas lineup, Nutt is batting .378 … Stephen Richards has been Arkansas’ best weapon out of the bullpen and picked up both a win and a loss over the weekend after he won the Friday night contest with 2.2 innings pitched and five stikeouts … Arkansas’ starting pitching went 22 innings of the 29 pitched over the weekend and allowed just 11 runs in that span … Junior Justin Wells was brilliant on Saturday, pitching a career high and Arkansas season best nine innings with a career high nine strikeouts … Arkansas’ bats were hot for the week as six batters hit .300 or better with three eclipsing the .400 mark.
Hitter of the Week Nominee
Ryan Cisterna * Junior
Gilbert, Ariz./Gilbert HS/Chandler-Gilbert [Ariz.] JC
· Batted .455 in the Tennessee series with five hits in 11 at bats, hit three home runs, scored five times and drove in five RBI.
· Slugged 1.273 in the Tennessee series and had a .500 on-base percentage.
· For the week hit .400 (6-15) and raised his batting average 30 points.
· Hit a game-winning home run in the seventh inning of Arkansas’ Friday night win against #30 Tennessee.
· Hit two home runs in Arkansas’ 10-inning win against #30 Tennessee on Saturday.
· Was perfect for the Razorbacks at catcher with 26 put outs and five assists, he picked off a runner and caught two stealing.
· Is in the midst of an eight-game hitting streak that continued with a base hit in the 10th inning against Tennessee on Sunday
· During his current streak, he is 12-32 (.375) with seven runs, five RBI and three home runs.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Justin Wells * Junior
Bryant, Ark./Bryant/Texarkana College
· Picked up a no decision against #30 Tennessee on Saturday despite throwing nine innings.
· Struck out a career high nine batters in the effort.
· The outing was the longest by a Razorback pitcher this season.
· Gave up eight hits and four runs in the Saturday start.
· Has cemented himself as one of Arkansas’ weekend rotation pitchers and is undefeated (3-0) this season in 13 appearances (3 starts)
· Is second on Arkansas’ roster in strikeouts and third in innings pitched.
· Held Tennessee to a .242 batting average for the weekend, 20 points under his season average.
Arkansas continues to play at home with a pair of mid-week games against Northern Colorado on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Tuesday contest is slated for a 6:35 p.m. start while Wednesday begins at 1:00 p.m. The Razorbacks then travel to the University of Mississippi for a critical SEC series with games at 6:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m. and 1:00p.m.
Tuesday, April 22: Northern Colorado at Arkansas, 6:35 p.m.
Wednesday, April 23: Northern Colorado at Arkansas, 1:05 p.m.
Friday, April 25: Arkansas at #17 Mississippi, 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 26: Arkansas at #17 Mississippi, 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 27: Arkansas at #17 Mississippi, 1:00 p.m.