March 17, 2008
Overall Record: 12-5
Tuesday, March 11: #1 Arizona St. 6, #19 Arkansas 5
Wednesday, March 12: #1 Arizona St. 7, #19 Arkansas 4
Friday, March 14: #19 Arkansas 5, Georgia 1
Saturday, March 15: Georgia 11, #19 Arkansas 15
Sunday, March 16: Georgia 13, #19 Arkansas 2
Noting the Razorbacks
Arkansas (12-5) traveled to #1 Arizona State for a midweek series in Tempe, Ariz., and played well against the nation’s best team despite dropping both halves of the two game set … The Razorbacks also opened Southeastern Conference play at home against the Georgia Bulldogs winning the first of three games … For the week, all-America candidate Logan Forsythe returned to the field to hit .450 (9-20) with two doubles, a triple and a home run. He also scored five runs while knocking in three with two walks … Freshman Brett Eibner was also very good at the plate with six hits in 15 at-bats for a .400 average. Eibner led the team with eight RBI on the week as the Houston, Texas native hit a double, triple and a home run, walked three times and led the team with a .500 on-base percentage … On the mound, junior college transfer Cliff Springston picked up the win in Arkansas victory against Georgia by pitching 5 2/3 innings scattering five hits and striking out four … Freshman Kendall Korbal also impressive on the hill despite his 0-1 record appeared in two games, picked up his first save of the season while pitching 5 1/3 innings, allowing just four hits and striking out seven.
Hitter of the Week Nominee
Logan Forsythe * Junior
Memphis, Tenn./Christian Brothers
· Forsythe led the Razorbacks in batting for the week hitting .450 (9-20).
· He scored five runs and knocked in three RBI on five singles, two doubles, a triple and a home run.
· Factoring in his two walks, Forsythe accumulated a .478 on base percentage and an .800 slugging percentage.
· Defensively, Forsythe started one of the prettiest double plays in the series opener against Georgia when he hit the dirt for a grounder and recovered for the 6-4-3 DP.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Cliff Springston * Junior
· Springston picked up the win in Arkansas’ series opener with Georgia by pitching 5 2/3, scattering five hits and allowing just one run.
· For the week, the junior had a 1.59 earned run average and opponents hit just .238 against him.
· Springston struck out four while only surrendering three walks.
Freshman of the Week Nominee
Brett Eibner * Freshman
Houston, Texas/The Woodlands
· Eibner continued to show a hot hand at the plate by hitting .400 over four games (6-15).
· He led the Razorbacks with eight RBI and scored two runs.
· Eibner also led the team with an .867 slugging percentage and .500 on-base percentage as he hit two doubles, a triple and a home run, walked three times and stole two bases in two attempts.
Arkansas hits the road for a week beginning with a midweek series with the Univ. of Nebraska, March 18-19. The Arkansas-Nebraska matchup is the first time Arkansas head coach Dave Van Horn returns to the Cornhusker state since leaving Nebraska to take the head coaching position at Arkansas. Following Wednesday’s game, Arkansas then travels to Baton Rouge, La., to continue its road trip with the LSU Tigers.
Tuesday, March 18: Arkansas at Nebraska, 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 19: Arkansas at Nebraska, 1:00 p.m.
Friday, March 21: Arkansas at LSU, 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 22: Arkansas at LSU, 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 23: Arkansas at LSU, 1:00 p.m.
Download: Statistics 3-16.pdf