Baton Rouge, La. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team split its final regular season matches on Saturday defeating Jackson State while falling to LSU at the W.T. Dub Robinson Tennis Facility.
“We played some solid tennis today,” head coach Robert Cox said. “While we dropped a match to LSU, the score doesn’t show the quality of play that was shown by both teams.”
The Razorbacks began their day with a match-up against the Tigers of LSU. LSU took the doubles point from the Razorbacks taking the early 1-0 lead.
The highlight of the first match was a comeback victory from sophomore Jovan Parlic on court six. Parlic dropped his first set, but rallied and took the second 6-1 and the third 6-4. Parlic’s win was the lone point for Arkansas against LSU. Gregoire Lehmann and Mike Nott were still playing when LSU clinched the match. Lehmann was on his third set with #51 Chris Simpson.
Arkansas took on Jackson State on Saturday evening and collected a 4-0 victory to improve its record to 16-15 for the season.
The Razorbacks took the doubles point from Jackson State with at win at one from Hall Fess and Santiago Munoz and the other victory from Nott and Pete Thomason.
Jackson State defaulted court six due to lack of players so Arkansas received a point for the default. The Razorbacks got their other two dual match points with a victory from Parlic and Thomason.
The Razorbacks will travel to Oxford, Miss. next week for the SEC Tournament beginning Wednesday.
#20 LSU 4 vs. #54 Arkansas 1
1. #51 Chris Simpson (LSU) vs. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 6-3, 4-6, 3-2 DNF
2. #104 Stefan Szacinski (LSU) vs. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7) DNF
3. Oliver Borsos (LSU) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 5
5. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jovan Parlic (ARK) def. Harrison Kennedy 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*)
1. #52 Simpson/Szacinski def. Ward/Lehmann 8-5
2. Anderson/ Borsos def. Nott/Hoang 8-3
3. Arias/Trinh vs. Fess/Munoz 7-6 DNF
#54 Arkansas 4 vs. Jackson State 0
1. Michael Nott vs. Morrles 6-2, 1-0 DNF
2. Jovan Parlic def. Luque 6-1, 6-1
3. Santiago Munoz vs. Patino 4-6, 1-0
4. Hall Fess def. Geria 6-1, 1-0
5. Pete Thomason def. Milosaljoice 6-0, 6-0
1. Fess/Munoz def. Morales 8-1
2. Nott/ Thomason def. Petino/Luque 8-2
3. Parlic/Hoang DNP