FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – In their first decathlon of the season, Lane Austell and Brad Culp sit in third and fourth place, respectively, after day one of the Razorback Combined at John McDonnell Field. Austell established a day-one personal best with 3,466 points while Culp is right behind with 3,413 points through the first five events of the two-day competition. Day two of the Razorback Combined is scheduled to start Thursday at 2 p.m. (CT).
Austell was aided by three event personal bests with marks of 6.63m/21-9 in the long jump, 12.09m/39-8 in the shot put and 1.78m/5-10 in the high jump. His effort in the high jump ties his best in the event. Austell’s previous day-one best score was 3,376 points set at last year’s Drake Relays. Culp had a personal best of his own in the long jump with a mark of 6.48m/21-3.75. The Razorback teammates capped the day with a 2-3 respective finish at 400 meters.
Razorback Combined, Day 1
John McDonnell Field | Fayetteville, Ark.
3. Lane Austell – 3,466 points
5. 100 Meters – 11.41 (+0.6) / 771 points
5. Long Jump – 6.63m/21-9 (+1.7) [PR – previous: 21-2.75] / 727 points
5. Shot Put – 12.09m/39-8 [PR – previous: 37-10.5] / 612 points
7. High Jump – 1.78m/5-10 [=PR] / 610 points
2. 400 Meters – 51.51 / 746 points
4. Brad Culp – 3,413 points
3. 100 Meters – 11.22 (+0.6) / 812 points
6. Long Jump – 6.48m/21-3.75 (+0.2) [PR – previous: 21-2.75] / 693 points
6. Shot Put – 11.65m/38-2.75 / 585 points
8. High Jump – 1.78m/610 / 610 points
3. 400 Meters – 52.28 / 713 points
In addition to the midweek multi-event competition in Fayetteville, the Razorbacks’ middle-distance and distance crews have traveled to Walnut, Calif., for this weekend’s Mt. SAC Relays. Competition at the distance-heavy meet is set to begin Thursday and continue through Saturday. Through the first three weeks of the outdoor season, Arkansas has four top-25 NCAA marks including a top-10 time at 10,000 meters by Kemoy Campbell.
The Razorbacks’ next home meet is scheduled for May 1 with the Arkansas Twilight. For more info regarding purchasing tickets for home events, call 800-982-HOGS (4647), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Razorback Ticket Center located just east of Baum Stadium.
For more information on Arkansas track and field including in-meet updates, follow @RazorbackTF on Twitter.