Arkansas Baseball Notebook
April 14, 2008
Overall Record: 19-15
Tuesday, April 8: Oral Roberts 9, Arkansas 4
Friday, April 11: Arkansas 2, #21 Florida 1
Saturday, April 12: #21 Florida 6, Arkansas 1
Sunday, April 13: Arkansas 10, #21 Florida 4
Noting the Razorbacks
Arkansas picked up its first Southeastern Conference series victory of the season when it upset #21 Florida in Gainesville in two of three games … Arkansas’ series victory at Florida was its first since it swept the Gators during the 1999 season … Sophomore Dallas Keuchel was brilliant on the mound in the series opener going 8.1 innings and allowing just one run on six hits … Junior Justin Wells picked up the win on Sunday with a solid 6.2 innings of four run baseball … Sophomore Stephen Richards closed out both victories for the Razorbacks with three innings of relief work and five strikeouts while facing the minimum nine batters … Jeff Nutt had a great week at the plate for the Razorbacks, hitting .462 with three runs scored, two home runs and four RBI … Nutt had a sensational .923 slugging percentage for the week and drew four walks … Since returning the Arkansas lineup, Nutt is hitting .393 with three home runs and nine RBI … Junior catcher Ryan Cisterna also had a great weekend with a .417 batting average 5-12 and producing his first three-game hitting streak of the season … Five Razorbacks hit better than .300 for the week … Junior Logan Forsythe again had a strong week, excelling mainly in the field as he commanded third base in the Florida series.
Hitter of the Week Nominee
Jeff Nutt * Senior
Wylie, Texas/Wylie HS/Navarro [Texas] College
· Led Arkansas to its first series victory at Florida since 1999.
· Batted .462 for the week (4 games) with a three game hitting streak beginning on Friday night at Florida.
· During the week scored three times, hit two home runs (both at Florida) and had four RBI.
· Slugged .923 for the week and with four walks was on base at a .588 clip.
· Since returning from injury two weeks ago is hitting .393 (11-28) with six runs, nine RBI, two doubles, three home runs and five walks.
· Has played both catcher and designated hitter since his return.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Dallas Keuchel * Sophomore
Tulsa, Okla./Bishop Kelley
· Earned his second SEC win of the season by pitching a gem on Friday night at #21 Florida.
· Threw 8.1 innings of six hit baseball, allowing one run and striking out two.
· Keuchel’s win at Florida on Friday night was Arkansas’ first in Gainesville on a Friday since April 2, 1999.
· Over his last three starts is 1-0 with a 1.76 ERA in 15.1 innings with seven strikeouts.
· His 8.1 innings on Friday night was a career high.
· Earned his third win of the season and notched his second quality start.
· In SEC games this season he is 1-1 with a 1.54 ERA in 23.1 innings.
Freshman of the Week Nominee
Brett Eibner * Freshman
Houston, Texas/The Woodlands
· Batted .333 (6-18) in four games this week and scored 2 runs, hit one double, one home run and drove in a team high five.
· In final two games at #21 Florida went 4-8 with 1 run, four RBI and a double.
· Continues to be perfect in the field with another 10 put outs and one assist.
· Hit .600 with runners in scoring position got the week.
Arkansas is back on the road in the second game of its home-and-home with Oral Roberts on Tuesday night in Tulsa, Okla., before returning home for an added game with Alcorn State on Wednesday at 6:35 p.m. The Alcorn State game was added to replace one of the three games the Razorbacks have lost to rain this season. Arkansas’ weekend series brings Tennessee to town with games scheduled for 6:35 p.m., 2:05 p.m. and 12:05 p.m. The Friday night contest is scheduled to air on Cox Sports Television.
Tuesday, April 15: Arkansas at Oral Roberts, 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 16: Alcorn State at Arkansas, 6:35 p.m.
Friday, April 18: Tennessee at Arkansas, 6:35 p.m.
Saturday, April 19: Tennessee at Arkansas, 2:05 p.m.
Sunday, April 20: Tennessee at Arkansas, 12:05 p.m.