FAYETTEVILLE – Stephanie Canfield drove in the Razorbacks’ first two runs of the game Friday but the weekend opened with an 8-3 loss to No. 7/5 Florida at Bogle Park. With the setback, the University of Arkansas softball team drops to 27-26 overall and 5-17 in Southeastern Conference play. Prior to Friday’s opener, the Razorbacks honored catcher Jayme Gee with a Senior Day ceremony.
Games two and three of the series will be televised by ESPN with Adam Amin and Amanda Scarborough handling the play-by-play and color commentary duties, respectively. Saturday’s game is slated for a 6:30 p.m. start while Sunday’s series finale will begin at noon. These will be the eighth and ninth television appearances of the season for Arkansas.
Florida (43-10, 13-9 SEC) scored in each of its first three times at the plate and led 6-0 before the Razorbacks’ offense got on the board. Jennifer Rambo reached on an error and Chloe Oprzedek was hit by a pitch to give the team first and second with one out. Canfield delivered with a two-run triple to the base of the wall in right center. It was her team-leading fourth triple of the year.
In the circle, Sydney Wright pitched five innings in relief and allowed two runs on four hits. She also struck out four Gators in the appearance. The Razorbacks put together one final rally by loading the bases with no outs in the fifth inning. Clarisa Navarro plated a run with a sacrifice fly but the threat ended with a close play at the plate.
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.
• Stephanie Canfield collected her fifth multi-RBI game of the season
o Two-run triple to right center in the third inning o Triple was 62nd hit of the season, tied for 10th-best in a single season at Arkansas
• Jayme Gee threw out SEC-leading 15th base runner of the season
o 58th of her career, two shy of program record held by Danica White (1999-02)
• Devon Wallace extended streak of reaching base safely to 27 games with walk in fifth inning
o Has at least on hit or walk in 50 of 53 games this season
o Increased SEC-record total to 189 career walks, one shy of tying eighth place in NCAA history
• Sydney Wright posted second five-inning relief appearance of the season
• Increased school-record total to 358 runs scored this season
• Increased school-record total to 324 RBI this season
• 11th single game/series this season against an opponent ranked or receiving votes in national polls
What to Tweet (140 characters or fewer)
• Saturday’s game at #BoglePark v Florida is Senior Day for Ashley Martindale, first pitch at 6:30p #WPS
• Sunday’s game at #BoglePark v Florida is Senior Day for Amanda Geile, first pitch at 12p #WPS
• Games two, three v Florida will be televised by @ESPN on Saturday, Sunday #WPS