The CHAMPS/Life Skills Program is designed to provide student-athletes with the education and experiences to assist them in bridging the gap from college life to professional life in the work world and also to make meaningful contributions to their communities. It is based on the premise that student-athletes, by virtue of their involvement in athletics, have a difficult time accessing campus-wide student activities, programming and experiences.
CHAMPS utilizes a five-point program of learning that focuses on academic excellence, athletics excellence, personal development, service and career development.
1. Academic Excellence – To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
2. Athletic Excellence – To build foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student-athlete.
3. Personal Development – To support the development of a well-balanced life-style for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth and decision-making skills.
4. Commitment to Service – To engage the student-athlete in service to her campus and surrounding communities.
5. Career Development – To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.