FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The Razorbacks made an outstanding comeback in doubles, which led to a 4-3 win over the Santa Clara Broncos. With an ITA ranking of No. 47, the Broncos are the highest ranked team the Razorbacks have played this season.
“Winning the doubles point was definitely the key to our success today,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Getting two wins this weekend is great for us. I’m really proud of our guys”
The Razorbacks swept Santa Clara in doubles competition, winning all three matches. Down 6-1, Mike Ward and Nikolas Zogaj made an amazing comeback to take their match. They gathered seven straight points and defeated Kyle Dandan and Nicholas Vinel, 8-6. Gregiore Lehmann and Chris Nott then defeated Tom Pham and Max Armengaud, 8-5. Matt Hogan and Matt Walters finished up the doubles competition with a 9-7 win over John Lamble and Eugene Muchynski.
Walters clutched the first match of singles play against Muchynski, 6-2, 6-3. Ward then fell to Pham, 6-4, 6-2, and Santa Clara gained their first point of the match. Soon after, Hogan finished his match, beating Armengaud 6-3, 6-3. Nott then fell to Dandan, making the score 3-2. Finally, winning the tie-breaker in his third set, Lehmann clenched the match for the Razorbacks, defeating Vinel, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-1). Zogaj finished up the competition and fell to Lamble, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1.
“Our guys are getting stronger and improving each and every match,” said Cox. “We have a couple more weeks before conference play starts to keep getting even better.”
The Hogs next match will be at home and they will host Oklahoma on Friday, Feb. 18. The match will begin at 5:30 p.m. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
SANTA CLARA 3, UA 4
Feb. 13, 10 a.m.
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Matt Walters/Matt Hogan (UA) def.Kyle Dandan/Nicholas Vinel (SCU), 9-7
2. Gregoire Lehmann/Chris Nott (UA) def. Tom Pham/Maxime Armengaud (SCU), 8-5
3. Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj (UA) def.John Lamble/Eugene Muchynski (SCU), 8-6
Order of finish: 6, 5, 2, 1, 3*, 4
1. Kyle Dandan (SCU) def. Chris Nott (UA) , 6-3, 6-3
2. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Max Armengaud (SCU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) def. Nicholas Vinel (SCU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-1)
4. John Lamble (SCU) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA), 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
5. Tom Pham (SCU) def. Mike Ward (UA), 6-4, 6-2
6. Matt Walters (UA) def. Eugene Muchynski (SCU), 6-2, 6-3