FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas got wins at the top and bottom of its singles lineup, but the Razorbacks were swept in the middle against No. 40 Auburn Friday afternoon, losing 5-2 at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center in Fayetteville.
The match was originally scheduled to be played outdoors at the UA Outdoor Tennis Complex, but temperatures below 50 degrees in the Fayetteville area forced the match indoors.
The Razorbacks (7-19, 0-9 SEC) got another win at No. 1 singles from reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Week Blake Strode. Strode earned his third straight victory over a ranked opponent, and his fourth straight win overall, by upsetting 47th-ranked Alex Schweizer, 6-4, 4-1(ret.). The 77th-ranked Strode improves to 24-10 on the season, 15-7 in singles and 5-4 in SEC play.
Arkansas also got a win at No. 6 singles, where freshman Gabriel Mattos rallied from down 4-2 in the third set to defeat Milan Krnjetin, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
The Hogs were defeated in the other four singles matches.
Auburn took the early advantage in the match by edging the Razorbacks for the doubles point. Arkansas’ 49th-ranked pair of Strode and Colin Mascall were upset by Schweizer and Robbert Lathouwers, 9-7, at No. 1 doubles, clinching the point for the Tigers. Strode and Mascall fall to 18-7 on the season, 14-6 in dual matches and 5-4 in the SEC.
The Razorbacks got a win at No. 2 doubles from Mattos and Bradwin Williams. The pair of freshmen knocked off Terence Nugent and Alexey Tsyrenov, 8-6.
Arkansas is back in action Sunday against No. 12 Alabama in their final home match of the season. The Hogs and Crimson Tide will meet at 1 p.m. at the UA Outdoor Tennis Complex, weather permitting. If there is inclement weather, the match will be held in the adjacent Dills Indoor Tennis Center.
The Razorbacks’ lone senior, Andrei Nicoara, will be honored in a ceremony after the doubles point.
#40 Auburn 5, Arkansas 2
April 6, 2007
Dills Indoor Tennis Center, Fayetteville, Ark.
1. #77 Blake Strode (ARK) def. #47 Alex Schweizer (AU), 6-4, 4-1(ret.)
2. #64 Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. Colin Mascall (ARK), 6-4, 7-5
3. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Dmitry Lebedev (ARK), 6-2, 6-3
4. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Andrei Nicoara (ARK), 6-3, 6-0
5. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Jorge Villanueva (ARK), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gabriel Mattos (ARK) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1, 3*, 2, 6
1. Schweizer/Lathouwers (AU) def. #49 Strode/Mascall (ARK), 9-7
2. Mattos/Bradwin Williams (ARK) def. Nugent/Tsyrenov (AU), 8-6
3. Dilaj/Lukas Maurson (AU) def.Nicoara/Lebedev (ARK), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2