FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas senior No. 27 Yuliya Lysa tallied her eighth singles win over a ranked opponent, but Ole Miss edged out the Razorbacks 4-2 Thursday at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center.
The Rebels won the doubles point and picked up three singles wins en route to the team victory.
Arkansas’ 47th-ranked tandem of Lysa and junior Shannon Hudson blanked Ole Miss’ 26th-ranked duo of Arianne Hartono and Mai El Kamash 6-0 at the No. 1 doubles position. But the Rebels responded with victories at the No. 3 and 2 spots to earn the opening point.
Hudson was first off the court in singles with a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 3 to tie the contest at 1-1.
Ole Miss then picked up wins at the No. 4 and 2 spots before Lysa defeated No. 22 Hartono for her fourth-straight win over a ranked opponent and fourth victory over a top-25 opponent this season.
Lysa’s Top-25 Wins
|March 20||No. 21 Andie Dikosavljevic (No. 15 Auburn)||1||6-2, 6-1|
|March 25||No. 19 Joana Vale Costa (at No. 15 LSU)||1||7-5, 6-4|
|April 10||No. 19 Sydney Campbell (No. 5 Vanderbilt)||1||1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)|
|April 14||No. 22 Arianne Hartono (Ole Miss)||1||6-1, 7-5|
The Rebels clinched the overall match at No. 6 thanks to a 6-2, 6-3 win from Marija Milutinovic.
“Credit to Ole Miss, head coach Michael Hegarty said. “It was another hard-fought match today. We just needed to extend things a little longer. I’m sure we will bounce back well Saturday.”
Arkansas returns to action Saturday to host No. 24 Mississippi State on Senior Day. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
• The Razorbacks moved to 16-11 overall and 5-7 in Southeastern Conference play.
• The Rebels improved to 12-9 overall and 3-9 in league action.
• The duo of Lysa and Hudson notched their second-straight win over a top-25 doubles pair.
• Lysa upped her record to 13-4 overall and a team-best 9-3 in SEC play.
• Each of Lysa’s nine conference victories have come at the No. 1 singles position.
• Lysa improved to 8-3 against ranked opponents in singles.
• Lysa has won nine of her last 10 singles matches.
For more information on Arkansas Women’s Tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.