KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The No. 65 University of Arkansas men’s tennis team made a valiant effort, but could not manage to put a dent in the Tennessee Volunteers, and fell 7-0. Tennessee proved why they are ranked No. 1 in the country, as they swept the Razorbacks in all three doubles and six singles matches.
“They are a solid team at each and every position,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Tennessee showed why they are No. 1 in the country.”
In doubles play, Tennessee’s Jarryd Chaplin and John Patrick Smith defeated brothers Mike Nott and Chris Nott at the No. 2 position, 8-2. No. 38 Tennys Sandgren and Rhyne Williams then clinched the doubles point for Tennessee at the No. 1 position as they defeated Hall Fess and Matt Hogan, 8-4. Matteo Fago and Edward Jones finished up doubles play for the Vols with an 8-6 win over Nikolas Zogaj and Mike Ward.
Unfortunately, in singles play there was more of the same for the Hogs. The Volunteers possess top-ranked players in the 1-4 positions. The Hogs were defeated in straight sets in each match, but not without a courageous attempt from the Hogs.
The Razorbacks return home again for a double header on Wednesday to take on Oral Roberts and Saint Louis. The first match will be against Oral Roberts at 11 a.m., followed by Saint Louis at 3 p.m. For more information on the Razorback tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
#1 Tennessee 7, #65 Arkansas 0
March 19, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. #38 Tennys Sandgren/Rhyne Williams (UT) def. Hall Fess/Matt Hogan (ARK) 8-4
2. Jarryd Chaplin/John-Patrick Smith (UT) def. Michael Nott/Chris Nott (ARK) 8-2
3. Matteo Fago/Edward Jones (UT) def. Nikolas Zogaj/Mike Ward (ARK) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 6, 4*, 3, 2, 5
1. #12 John-Patrick Smith (UT) def. Matt Hogan (ARK) 6-0, 6-0
2. #3 Rhyne Williams (UT) def. Chris Nott (ARK) 6-4, 6-1
3. #44 Tennys Sandgren (UT) def. Nikolas Zogaj (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
4. #51 Matteo Fago (UT) def. Matt Walters (ARK) 6-0, 7-5
5. Edward Jones (UT) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Michael Nott (ARK) 6-3, 6-1