BATON ROUGE, La. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team finished up SEC play with a 6-1 loss to No. 33 LSU. The loss moved the Hogs to 7-16 overall and 0-11 in the SEC. The Tigers record improved to 10-12 overall and 5-7 in the SEC.
“We came out very strong in singles,” said head coach Robert Cox. “We were very competitive and I was very proud of the effort.”
In doubles play, Hall Fess and Manfred Jeske were knocked off first at the No. 3 position, 8-4. Seniors Matt Hogan and Chris Nott followed with another 8-4 loss at the No. 1 position against the No. 10 ranked doubles team and clinched the doubles point for LSU. The final game at the No. 2 spots went to 6-5 but remained unfinished.
Moving into singles play, the Tigers won three straight to determine the winner of the dual match before the final three matches were played. Nikolas Zogaj fell quickly in two sets, followed by Mike Ward and Manfred Jeske. Matt Hogan fought hard, but fell in the third set to No. 93-ranked Neal Skupski. No. 121-ranked Nott then fell to Olivier Borsos in the No. 1 position in three sets. Play was finished with a Razorback win on court No. 4. Gregoire Lehmann outlasted Mark Bowtell in an almost four hour match and defeated him 7-6, 6-4.
The match completed the conference season for the Razorbacks. The men’s SEC tournament will be played April 21-24, in Gainesville, Fla. The Hogs will face Florida in the first round on Friday at 3 p.m. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
#33 LSU 6, #75 Arkansas 1
April 16, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #10 Sebastian Carlsson/Neal Skupski (LSU) def. Chris Nott/Matt Hogan (ARK) 8-4
2. Roger Anderson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) vs. Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj (ARK) 6-5, unfinished
3. Julien Gauthier/Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. Manfred Jeske/Hall Fess (ARK) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 5, 6, 2, 1, 4
1. Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. #121 Chris Nott (ARK) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. #93 Neal Skupski (LSU) def. Matt Hogan (ARK) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
3. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Nikolas Zogaj (ARK) 6-2, 6-1
4. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
6. Julien Gauthier (LSU) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 7-5, 6-4