FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The No. 71 Hogs defeated the No. 74 Iowa Hawkeyes, 6-1, at the Dills Indoor Facility.
“It was a good match for us, I was proud of our guys for the way that they competed,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Iowa is a very good and well coached team.”
The Razorbacks began with another great showing in doubles, as the team has yet to drop a doubles point this season in dual competition. Gregoire Lehmann and Chris Nott took the first match, beating Nikita Zotov and Garret Dunn, 8-3. Mike Ward and Nikolas Zogaj quickly followed, defeating Austen Kauss and Chase Tomlins, 8-3, and clenching the point. Matt Hogan and Matt Walters finished up doubles competition with an 8-6 loss to Mark Bruche and Will Vasos.
“We played good doubles once again, and it gave us a spark going into singles,” said Cox. “Iowa came right back at us, but we played some really good three-setters.”
The Hogs used their momentum to continue the wins throughout singles competition. Zogaj picked up the first win, defeating Austen Kauss, 6-4, 6-3. Lehmann then fell to Will Vasos, 7-6, 6-4, but the Hogs did not drop another match. Ward, Nott, Walters and Hogan all defeated their Iowa opponents and led Arkansas to a 6-1 victory over the Hawkeyes.
The Hogs will play again on Sunday, facing the No. 47 Santa Clara Broncos. First serve will be at 10 a.m. To stay updated with the men’s tennis team, and access live blogs and stats, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
IOWA 1, UA 6
Feb. 11, 5 p.m.
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
1. Mark Bruche/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Matt Walters/Matt Hogan (UA), 8-6
2. Gregoire Lehmann/Chris Nott (UA) def. Nikita Zotov/Garret Dunn (IOWA), 8-3
3. Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj (UA) def. Austen Kauss/Chase Tomlins (IOWA), 8-3
Order of finish: 4, 3, 5, 1*, 6, 2
1. Chris Nott (UA) def. Mark Bruche (IOWA), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA), 6-4, 7-5
3. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA), 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
4. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) def. Austen Kauss (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
5. Mike Ward (UA) def. Garret Dunn (IOWA), 7-6 (9-7), 3-6, 6-1
6. Matt Walters (UA) def. Mitch Beckert (IOWA), 3-6, 6-1, 6-0