COLUMBIA, S.C. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team (3-6) met the Gamecocks of South Carolina in their first conference dual match, and fell short in a 4-3 battle.
“I’m disappointed in the outcome of today’s match, but I am proud of my team for their effort,” said head coach Robert Cox. “We did not play well in every position today.”
The two teams were tied in the fight for the doubles point after the first two matches. Ivan Machado and Nick Jones defeated Matt Hogan and Matt Walters 8-6, followed by No. 66-ranked Mike Ward and Nikolas Zogaj defeating Alexander Kostanov and Chip Cox, 8-6. The point came down to the final match between Arkansas’ Gregoire Lehmann/Chris Nott and South Carolina’s Johannes Pulsfort/Chris Sheehan. South Carolina came away with the doubles point, defeating Arkansas 8-6 in the deciding match.
In singles competition Arkansas took the first match, but South Carolina follow it up by getting three wins in a row, to secure the match victory. Kostanov, Pulsfort and Harry Menzies all defeated their Arkansas opponents in two straight sets. Chris Nott and Matt Hogan finished up play with victories of their own. The final score of the dual match was 4-3, with South Carolina as the victor.
“I’m proud of Hogan, Nott, and Lehmann in their play today,” said Cox. “Now we just have to regroup and get ready for Florida on Sunday.”
The men’s team will play again on Sunday against the No. 11-ranked Florida Gators. The match is scheduled to take place at 1 p.m., in Gainesville, Fla.
For more information about the men’s tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Arkansas 3, South Carolina 4
(Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*)
1. Ivan Machado / Nick Jones (SC) def. Matt Hogan / Matt Walters (ARK) 8-6
2. #66 Mike Ward / Nikolas Zogaj (ARK) def. Alexander Kostanov / Chip Cox (SC) 8-6
3. Johannes Pulsfort / Chris Sheehan (SC) def. Gregoire Lehmann / Chris Nott (ARK) 8-6
(Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 6*, 2, 1)
1. Matt Hogan (ARK) def. Ivan Machado (SC) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Chris Nott (ARK) def. Nick Jones (SC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
3. Alexander Kostanov (SC) def. Nikolas Zogaj (ARK) 6-4, 6-2
4. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) def. Chip Cox (SC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
6. Harry Menzies (SC) def. Matt Walters (SC) 6-4, 7-5