FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The Hogs took on the No. 38 Tulsa Hurricane today, and fell 5-2.
The Razorbacks lost the doubles point for the first time this season. Tulsa’s No. 19-ranked Ashley Watling and Clifford Marsland defeated Matt Hogan and Matt Walters, 8-4. Soon after, Mike Ward and Nikolas Zogaj fell to Japie De Klerk and Marcelo Arevalo, 8-6, breaking their undefeated doubles streak. Gregoire Lehmann and Chris Nott finished up doubles with a win, defeating No. 53 Grant Ive and Alastair Barnes, 8-5.
In singles play the Hogs fought hard, but managed to only claim two matches from the Hurricanes. Four of the six matches went to three sets. Walters defeated Jackson, 6-2, 7-6. Hogan took No. 94 Watling to a third set and defeated him 2-6, 7-6, 10-5. Mike Nott made his debut at the No. 6 position and after winning his first set, he fell to Barnes, 4-6, 7-6, 6-3. Zogaj, Lehmann, and Chris Nott also fell to their opponents.
The Razorbacks head to Las Vegas Next weekend to face Fresno State and UNLV. On Saturday, the Razorbacks play Fresno State at 1 p.m., and on Sunday they play UNLV at 10 a.m. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Tulsa 5, Arkansas 2
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. Ashley Watling/Clifford Marsland (Tul) def. Matt Hogan/Matt Walters (Ark.), 8-4
2. Gregoire Lehmann/Chris Nott (Ark.) Grant Ive/Alastair Barnes (Tul), 8-5
3. Japie De Klerk/Marcelo Arevalo def. Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj (Ark.), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 4*, 2, 6
1. Marcelo Arevalo (Tul) def. Chris Nott (Ark.), 6-1, 6-3
2. Matt Hogan (Ark.) def. Ashley Watling (Tul), 2-6, 7-6, 10-5
3. Clifford Marsland (Tul) def. Gregoire Lehmann (Ark.), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Japie De Klerk (Tul) def. Nikolas Zogaj (Ark.), 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Matt Walters (Ark.) def. Tristan Jackson (Tul), 6-2, 7-6
6. Alastair Barnes (Tul) def. Mike Nott (Ark.), 4-6, 7-6, 6-3