Columbia, SC. – The No. 53 University of Arkansas men’s tennis team dropped its match 5-1 against No. 25 South Carolina, Friday afternoon, at the Carolina Tennis Center.
“These guys are fighting really hard,” head coach Robert Cox said. “Despite the loss, we still played amazing doubles. I am very happy with our doubles play and the effort that this team gives each day on the court. We just need to work on our transition into singles play.”
The Razorbacks began the match with an intense doubles victory. The No. 35-ranked duo of Manfred Jeske and Mike Nott continued dominance on court one defeating the No. 21 doubles team of Chip Cox and Tsvetan Mihoy, 8-2. The Gamecocks responded with a victory on court two. The doubles point was decided on court three with a huge 8-6 victory for Victor Hoang and Jovan Parlic to give Arkansas the 1-0 lead.
This is the fourth straight match that the Hogs have taken the doubles point. Three of the four have been from top-25 teams Mississippi State, Ole Miss and South Carolina.
The Razorbacks could not carry their momentum into singles play, dropping five out of the six matches. Nott was still playing when the match was clinched.
Arkansas continues SEC play on Sunday when it takes on the No. 20 Florida Gators in Gainesville, Fla.
Arkansas 1 vs. South Carolina 5
Singles (Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1, 4*, 5)
1. Tsvetan Mihov (SC) def. Manfred Jaske (ARK) 6-4, 6-1
2. (90)Andrew Adams (SC) led Mike Nott (ARK) 6-4, 5-1 suspended
3. Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
4. Chip Cox (SC) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 7-5, 6-3
5. Kyle Koch (SC) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
6. Harry Menzies (SC) def. Christian Lee (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*)
1. (35) Mike nott/Manfred Jaske def. (21) Chip Cox/Tsvetan Mihov (SC) 8-2
2. (55) Kyle Koch / Harry Menzies (SC) def. Hall Fess/Santiago Munoz (ARK) 8-5
3. Victor Hoang/Jovan Parlic (ARK) def Ben Barnette/Thiago Pinheiro (SC) 8-6