NASHVILLE, Tenn. — After a strong effort, the No. 75th-ranked University of Arkansas men’s tennis team fell no No. 33 Vanderbilt.
“We did not play we well as we did on Friday,” said head coach Robert Cox. “We are still searching and fighting for the something that will get us over the hump.”
The Hogs started off slow, dropping two straight doubles matches. The Razorbacks kept them close. At the No. 2 position, Chris Nott and Matt Walters fell 8-6, followed by an 8-5 loss by Matt Hogan and Gregoire Lehmann at the No. 1 position. Commodores clinched the doubles point. Hall Fess and Manfred Jeske’s match was tied at 8-8, but since the point was decided it was left unfinished.
In singles play, Vanderbilt continued to dominate and took three straight matches to clinch the doubles point. Nott, Lehmann and Walters fell in two sets at the one, three and four positions. The two teams finished the remaining three matches. Although Mike Ward and Hogan fell, freshman Jeske picked up a win against Alex DiValerio, 6-4, 7-5. This was his first conference win as a Razorback.
“We are going to keep our heads high and keep improving,” said Cox. “I’m happy that Manfred got a win. We also had a solid doubles effort with Little Rock’s own Hall Fess.”
One more conference match remains for the Hogs. They Razorbacks will travel to Baton Rouge on Saturday to face LSU in their final match of the regular season. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www. ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
#33 Vanderbilt 6, #75 Arkansas 1
April 10, Noon
Order of finish: 2, 1*
1. Adam Baker/Alex Zotov (VU) def. Matt Hogan/Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 8-6
2. Ryan Lipman/Bryant Salcedo (VU) def. Chris Nott/Matt Walters (UA) 8-5
3. Charlie Jones/Blake Bazarnik (VU) def. Hall Fess/Manfred Jeske (UA) 8-8 UNF
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4*, 6, 5, 2
1. #27 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Chris Nott (UA) 6-2, 6-2
2. Adam Baker def. Matt Hogan (UA) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Bryant Salcedo (VU) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 6-3, 6-4
4. Blake Bazarnik (VU) def. Matt Walters (UA) 7-5, 6-4
5. Alex Zotov (VU) def. Mike Ward (UA) 6-1, 6-7(2-7), 6-1
6. Manfred Jeske (UA) def. Alex DiValerio 6-4, 7-5