LEXINGTON, Ky. – Ela Kaluder resumed her winning ways in Southeastern Conference matches with a victory at No. 1 singles, but it was the only victory the Arkansas Lady Razorbacks could manage against Kentucky, falling 4-1.
Arkansas, 6-6, dropped to 0-4 in SEC action. The 23rd-ranked Wildcats went to 12-1 on the season, the best start in the history of the Kentucky program.
Kaluder had her 10-match streak snapped on Friday at Vanderbilt, but got back on track in Lexington by defeating Kim Coventry, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.
The Lady’Backs suffered losses on courts two, three and four in singles. Joelle Schwerk, ranked 87th, defeated Maryori Franco, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 2. Sarah Woestmann beat Nanar Airapetian, 6-3, 6-1, on third court, while Carolina Escamilla won 6-2, 6-2, over Audrey Bordeleau, on fourth court.
The Lady’Backs dropped the doubles point to begin the afternoon, Coventry and Schwenk defeated Airapetian and Franco, 8-4, on the first court. Escamilla and Woestmann beat Bordeleau and Kaluder, 8-1, at No. 2. Hoffmeister and Wilhelm fell at No. 3, 8-3, to Johnston and Spencer to complete the sweep for UK.
Kentucky 4, Arkansas 1
1) Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Kim Coventry (UK) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2) Joelle Schwenk (UK) def. Maryora (UA), 6-4, 6-3
3) Sarah Woestmann (UK) def. Nanar Airapetian (UA), 6-3, 6-1
4) Carolina Escamilla (UK) def. Audrey Bordeleau (UA), 6-2, 6-2
5) Whitney Spencer (UK) v. Rachel Wilhelm, not contested
6) Jessica Giugioli (UK) v. Carly Dixon, not contested
Coventry-Schwenk (UK) def. Airapetian-Franco, 8-4
Escamilla-Woestmann (UK) def. Bordeleau-Kaluder, 8-1
Johnston-Spencer (UK) def. Hoffmeister-Wilhelm, 8-3