FAYETTEVILLE – Sophomore Ela Kaluder collected the biggest win of her young Lady Razorback career on Friday afternoon with a 6-4, 6-4 win over 11th-ranked Natalie Frazier of Georgia.
The victory on court one was not enough to lift the University of Arkansas (6-3, 0-1) women’s tennis team past the 11th-ranked University of Georgia (8-0, 1-0) as the Bulldogs took the match, 6-1.
“Ela has made solid progress in practice throughout the year,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “We saw what she was capable of today, and I know this win will carry her to bigger and better ones down the road.”
Kaluder’s victory marks the first time she has defeated a top-20 player. Her next-highest win was a 7-6 (7), 4-6, 1-0(8) victory over Tennessee’s No. 21 Blakely Griffith.
With the win, Kaluder remains undefeated in the 2007 spring season. Her singles record now stands at 9-0. The straight set victory for Kaluder also broke Frazier’s nine-match winning streak. Frazier’s last loss was to the nation’s top-ranked player, Audra Cohen of Miami at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s National Indoor Championships.
“I knew she was ranked pretty high before the match, but I didn’t know she was 11th,” Kaluder said. “I knew, though, that if I just kept working good things would happen, and they did.”
Arkansas is back at home on Sunday, Mar. 4, for a match against the University of Tennessee. Match time is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and admission is free. For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady Razorback sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
#12 Georgia 6, #45 Arkansas 1
1. #40 Ela Kaluder (ARK) def. #11 Natalie Frazier (UGA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Maryori Franco (ARK) 6-0, 7-6 (7-0)
3. Darya Ivanov (UGA) def. #93 Nanar Airapetian (ARK) 6-0, 6-1
4. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Audrey Bordeleau (ARK) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Lara Fakhoury (UGA) def. Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
6. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Carly Dixon (ARK) 6-3, 6-0
1. #23 Darya Ivanov/Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Audrey Bordeleau/Ela Kaluder (ARK) 8-2
2. Naoko Ueshima/Natalie Frazier (UGA) def. Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (ARK) 8-6
3. Adrienne Elsberry/Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Melissa Hoffmeister/Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 8-6
Georgia 8-0; National ranking #12
Arkansas 6-3; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)
— LADY RAZORBACKS —