FAYETTEVILLE – Sophomore Ela Kaluder, ranked 40th in the country, did all she could in a singles win on court one, but it was not enough to propel the 48th ranked University of Arkansas women’s tennis team past the 35th ranked Brigham Young University Cougars at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
The 4-3 loss moves the Lady Razorbacks to 6-2 for the nonconference schedule, but has two more opportunities against nonconference teams on March 14 against Louisiana-Lafayette and on March 21 against Southern Methodist University.
This was an excellent college tennis match,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “There was a lot of good play on both sides of the net, but BYU just has a little more right now.”
For the first time all season the Lady’Backs lost the doubles advantage, putting them one point behind going into singles play. Needing four singles wins, Arkansas picked up the first one with Kaluder’s win over BYU’s Lauren Jones, 6-3, 7-5. With the win, Kaluder moves to 8-0 this season.
BYU retook the lead with a win on court two, but the Lady’Backs tied the score with junior Maryori Franco’s 6-3, 6-3 win over Kristina Doerr. The win keeps Franco perfect on court two, while pushing Arkansas to 7-1 on court three in all matches this season.
The Cougars took the lead again with a win on court five, but junior Audrey Bordeleau brought the Lady’Backs back in it with a 7-6(4), 6-1 win on court four against BYU’s Sophia Holden. Bordeleau is7-1 in singles this spring.
With the match knotted at three for both teams, the match came down to court six and Arkansas freshman Carly Dixon. Dixon back after losing the first set to take the second, 6-3, but BYU junior Dolly Chang found an advantage in the third to take the match.
The Lady’Backs break into the Southeastern Conference schedule at home next weekend against the Georgia Bulldogs. Match time is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and admission is free. For more information, please visit LADYBACKS.com.
Tennis Match Results
BYU 4, Arkansas 3
1. Anastasia Surkova/Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) def. Ela Kaluder/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-3, ret.
2. Lauren Jones/Sophia Holden (BYU) def. Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (UA) 8-3
3. Kristina Doerr/Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Rachel Wilhelm/Melissa Hoffmeister (UA) 8-3
1. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Lauren Jones (BYU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Anastasia Surkova (BYU) def. Nanar Airapetian (UA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Kristina Doerr (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Sophia Holden (UA) 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) def. Melissa Hoffmeister (UA) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Dolly Chang (UA) def. Carly Dixon (UA) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1*