FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – On Tuesday the Southeastern Conference announced that a pair of Arkansas men’s cross country runners earned weekly awards, as senior Stanley Kebenei was named the Co-SEC Runner of the Week and freshman Alex George won the SEC Freshman of the Week award.
The duo helped the Razorbacks to a 16th place finish at the highly competitive Wisconsin adidas Invitational last weekend. The No. 23-ranked team in the nation finished three points ahead of 17th place Oklahoma (419), but were 17 points shy of 16th place (Michigan State) and 22 points shy of the No. 15 position (Indiana). Syracuse took the team title for the second time in their program history and finished ahead of No. 14 Iona (154 points), No. 9 Wisconsin (176 points), No. 5 Portland (211 points) and No. 7 Stanford (220 points) who rounded out the top-five.
It is the second time this season that Kebenei has been named the SEC Runner of the Week, and the fourth of his career, after he finished sixth in Wisconsin. The Kenya native Kebenei finished the 8K race with a time of 23:55.
For George, it is the third time this season that he has been named the SEC Freshman of the Week, as he previously garnered the honor on Sept. 23 and Oct. 7. The Gloucester, Great Britain native followed up his strong performances at the Iona Meet of Champions and the Chile Pepper Festival with a personal-best time in the 8K (24:23) to take 57th individually.
The Razorbacks will now look ahead to the SEC Championships on Friday, Oct. 31. The Men’s 8K Championship Race, which is slated for a 10 a.m. start, will take place at the Harry Pritchett Cross Country Course in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
For more information on the Arkansas men’s cross country team, follow @RazorbackTF on twitter.
SEC Cross Country Weekly Awards (Oct. 21)
Co-Men’s Runner of the Week: Stanley Kebenei, Arkansas
- Finished sixth overall at the highly competitive Wisconsin adidas Invitational with an 8K time of 23:55.
- Helped pace an Arkansas men’s cross country team that collected 416 points to take 16th place in the 36-team field.
Co-Men’s Runner of the Week: Ty McCormack, Auburn
- Took home individual medalist honors at the Crimson Classic this past Friday, clocking a time of 24:27.86.
- It was McCormack’s second consecutive victory and his third of the season.
- Defeated runner-up Daniel Garcia, of Kennesaw State, by more than 30 seconds.
- Helped his Auburn team to a second-place overall finish.
Men’s Freshman Runner of the Week: Alex George, Arkansas
- Followed up on his strong performances from earlier this season to post a personal-best 8K time of 24:23 to take 57th at the highly competitive Wisconsin adidas Invitational.
- Helped the Razorbacks finish 16th as a team.