FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team improved to 3-0 on Sunday afternoon in the Dills Indoor Tennis Center with a 6-1 win over the Wichita State University Shockers.
Freshmen team Aurelija Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder led Arkansas in doubles with an 8-2 win on court two over WSU’s Ana Exeni and Anna Egorova. With the win, Kaluder and Miseviciute improve to 17-4 as a pair this year.
Senior Melissa Cornett and freshman Rachel Wilhelm clinched the doubles point in Arkansas’ direction soon after with a victory of their own on court three over Wichita’s Jackie Richey and Torrie Browning, 8-3.
In singles, Miseviciute won her third match of the weekend with 6-1, 6-0 win over WSU’s Anna Egorova. In her three singles matches this weekend, Miseviciute only lost two games totaling a 36-2 tally.
Senior Melissa Cornett notched the third point for Arkansas on Sunday afternoon. The Little Rock, Ark., native rolled to victory over Wichita’s Ana Ines Exeni, 6-0, 6-2. Carrying over from last season’s dual matches, Cornett is on a six-match winning streak in completed matches dating back to April 8th against Alabama.
On line two, senior Vlatka Jovanovic clinched the match for the Lady’Backs with a 6-2, 6-1 win over the Shocker’s Wendi Webster.
“I think the best part of the weekend was that a lot of different people got some excellent match play,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “It was another invitation that our depth will be a gret strength for us this year.”
The Lady’Backs are back in action on Monday, Feb. 6, for their first away match of the season against Nebraska. The matc is set to begin at noon.
For more information about Lady Razorback tennis or about Arkansas women’s athletics, please go to www.ladybacks.com.
Sunday, January 29, 2006
Dills Indoor Tennis Center
1. Wendi Webster/Madina Rakihm (WSU) def. Maryori Franco/Karina Ledaja (AR) 8-6
2. Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Ana Exeni/Anna Egorova (WSU) 8-2
3. Melissa Cornett/Rachel Wilhelm (AR) def. Jackie Richey/Torrie Browning (WSU) 8-3
1. Madina Rakihm (WSU) def. Ela Kaluder (AR) 6-2, 6-4
2. Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Anna Egorova (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Vlatka Jovanovic (AR) def. Wendi Webster (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Melissa Cornett (AR) def. Ana Ines Exeni (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Rachel Wilhelm (AR) def. Torrie Browning (WSU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Audrey Bordeleau (AR) def. Jackie Richey (WSU) 7-5, 7-5